Highlighted

Color Control -> Fill Color to Gradient problem

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm rather new to Adobe After Effects and I'm trying to change a simple color (purple) to a gradient one in the Color Control effects.
I've tried to apply a gradient fill effect, but the gradient color then "takes over" all other colors of color control effect.

Can someone help me?
Thanks in advance!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

You completely misunderstand how this works. Color controls themselves have no gradients nor does the mere auxiliary color control for expressions do anything by itself. You seriously, seriously need to start reading the help and watching basic tutorials. If you can't even figure out something that basic, you have a long way to go. Gradients can be created in a multitude of ways using effects or e.g. shape layer fills, but not like you attempted.

Mylenium

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Color Control -> Fill Color to Gradient problem

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm rather new to Adobe After Effects and I'm trying to change a simple color (purple) to a gradient one in the Color Control effects.
I've tried to apply a gradient fill effect, but the gradient color then "takes over" all other colors of color control effect.

Can someone help me?
Thanks in advance!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

You completely misunderstand how this works. Color controls themselves have no gradients nor does the mere auxiliary color control for expressions do anything by itself. You seriously, seriously need to start reading the help and watching basic tutorials. If you can't even figure out something that basic, you have a long way to go. Gradients can be created in a multitude of ways using effects or e.g. shape layer fills, but not like you attempted.

Mylenium

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 28, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2017 0
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

Yes I'm very new to the software.

Will try to view some tutorials before moving on

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right but could be a little more constructive, instead of belittling - is there a way to apply colour controls to a gradient overlay in a layer style?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2019 3
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium you are a fool! That's discouraging and not at all a great attitude towards new users...

nathanc3728540, there are two ways of creating gradients:

- Open the shape layer > Add > Gradient Fill      (only works with shape layers)
- Effects & Presets > Gradient Ramp

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium is just telling it like it is. The OP does not understand how color gradients work in After Effects because there was no effort made to do any homework. There is no belittling involved when you tell someone the truth. 

If a property has an array or a numeric value associated with it, or it is text, you can use an expression to control it. A single color that can be animated and shows a swatch is always a 4 digit array with normal values ranging from 0 to 1. 

A gradient is a lot more complicated, it has no swatch. When you edit a gradient there can be lots of values, midpoints, opacities, and other midpoints that would have to be arranged in an Array to make that gradient easily editable. 

You cannot even Alt/Options Click on the Colors stopwatch for a gradient to write an expression. It is one of several properties that cannot be accessed by expressions.

On the other hand, effects like Gradient Ramp and Four Color Gradient have color swatches, so those effects can be controlled by expressions. 

The other option is to apply multiple colors on multiple layers with different opacities and use blend modes to create a gradient from multiple layers. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0