• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color shift when exporting to ProRes422 & mp4 at small resolutions

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've encounted a very strange issue. I'm working on some ribbon boards for a stadium placement, and when I render out the file to ProRes422 or mp4, the color shifts slightly. It's just a simple background color with logos and type scrolling on top. The orange background color shifts from #FE7800 in After Effects to #FE7900 when rendering to ProRes422, and #FE7F00 when rendering straight out of Media Encoder. If I bring the ProRes422 render into Media Encoder and compress that to mp4, it stays at #FE7900. If I render out to uncompressed Animation, or a still frame jpg, there is no color shift at all. I have Working Space set to "None" in the project settings and Assume Working Gamma to 2.2(sRGB).

What's even more baffling is if I render a more conventional resolution video (1920x1080) with just that same solid background color, the color does not shift when exporting to ProRes422 or mp4. It seems to be happening when I'm rendering at smaller or unconventional resolutions (like 1420x72 for this ribbon board). Does anyone know why this is happening and how to remedy this? I've done everything I can think of (render just the background solid, make it a shape layer filled with the same color instead of a solid layer, double the size of the comp, render out ProRes 4444 or Animation and then compress that, check Preserve RGB in the render settings, etc.) but once I compress it to mp4 it shifts no matter what.

Mac OS 10.15.6

After Effects 17.1.3 (Build 41)

Media Encoder 14.3.2 (Build 38)

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color Managment: Have you set the color working space to the same monitor color working space in the AE project settings ?

which video player did you use ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Working space is None in the Project Settings, I've tried checking and unchecking "Preserve RGB" even though I'm not using a working space in the project. Still the same results.

I brought the renders (ProRes422 and mp4) back into After Effects, same comp as my working comp, and used the color picker to try to confirm the colors. That's how I was able to determine that the color shifted to #FE7900 from #FE7800.

Most people probably wouldn't ever notice the shift, but the creative director on the project noticed the shift from an earlier render out of Media Encoder that was shifted even more, so now I'm trying to show him that I'm not shifting the color at all in the comp, it's the render that's shifting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines