Highlighted

Complex issues - bad format or not readable adobe after effects and photoshop

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I am facing a designer's nightmare recently...

My company backed up the server during Christmas and then everything of my computer started going wrong.

The AE files I was working on smoothly suddenly become unable to open.

It would pop up a message of "bad format or not readable".

Meanwhile If I open the Photoshop files and make changes, I am not allowed to save it. (The message said something like I don't have the right to do so.)

I tried to use "Save As" function to create another file, then the original PS file would be unable to open. (And obviously these PS files would become all error in AE too)

On the other hand..I tried to export something on Premier Pro and the exported files would lost part of the tracks.

I have no idea what's going on but before my boss back up the server It's all fine.

He helped me to reinstall the computer.

It seems ok but the bad format or not readable AE issues still happening.

Now I am really struggling and scared to do the works as the AE files keep being disable randomly.

May I know what should I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Complex issues - bad format or not readable adobe after effects and photoshop

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I am facing a designer's nightmare recently...

My company backed up the server during Christmas and then everything of my computer started going wrong.

The AE files I was working on smoothly suddenly become unable to open.

It would pop up a message of "bad format or not readable".

Meanwhile If I open the Photoshop files and make changes, I am not allowed to save it. (The message said something like I don't have the right to do so.)

I tried to use "Save As" function to create another file, then the original PS file would be unable to open. (And obviously these PS files would become all error in AE too)

On the other hand..I tried to export something on Premier Pro and the exported files would lost part of the tracks.

I have no idea what's going on but before my boss back up the server It's all fine.

He helped me to reinstall the computer.

It seems ok but the bad format or not readable AE issues still happening.

Now I am really struggling and scared to do the works as the AE files keep being disable randomly.

May I know what should I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 17, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all seems like some issues with access permissions to your drives, company servers or files or al of the above. So you have to look out there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks imeilfix! We did check up all the access permissions and It look fine to us..
So I still have no idea what's going on

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2019 0
Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to transfer some project with assets to some other computer outside of your company network that was not backed up?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet but I think I would try to do it tomorrow.
I only tried opening those files on the other computers which also connected to the same server.
It is still failed to open the AE files which was broken by my computer.

But they're working fine on their files tho...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2019 0
Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems weird to me but I still would go and double check those permissions.
As for corrupted AE project try maby:
a) open AE and create clean new project.
b) save it - if it wont let you save - somethiong is wrong with write permissions on your server/hdd/ssd
c) if it let you save - then import your old project ( that one that was unable to open) into your new one.
d) if that works - check all links to footage and if you can't see them - relink

In some cases that helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2019 0
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Imeilfx,

Just wanna say thanks for your help earlier.

I actually haven't sorted this issue out yet since no one in my company knows what's going on.

But everything runs smoothly once I work on the project on my desktop instead of from the server.

I think you're absolutely right about the server.

My boss said all the settings are same with other computers so he also has no idea what's going on why my computer only got issue haha.

Probably it's my time to convince him to buy me a new one 😛

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your Dropbox or cloud storage system!

This happened to me. Once I enabled Smart Sync, the problem went away. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0