• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not read from source. Please check the settings and try again (86::1) shockingly bad Adobe

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a film maker who has been using Avid, After Effects and Davinci Resolve for the last 8 years. Decided to give premiere pro a try and make use of the full creative cloud package that I'm forced to buy as I can't licence After Effects on its own.

What a joke!! Not sure why everyone has been using this software for so long. Tried to cut two 4K films and I've spent as much time fixing and researching errors as I have editing. Please don't bother asking about systems and hardware etc. My system has cut multiple 4K films in Avid and it's never caused a fraction of the issues that linking Prem and AE has done. 

Dynamic Link between the two does not work, yes it gets the clip into After Effects and updates back into Prem but whats the point of that if it slows the render and export down at the end using the CPU?? May as well just export the clip out of Prem and back and forth from AE as then you can export directly through Media Encoder and make use of your GPU, it's a gimmick, not an tool to help you work fatser.

I've used AE for years and it never crashes, as soon as I'm using it linked with Premiere Pro it crashed constantly, as does Premiere Pro. On two occassions AE crashed and the project was corrupted so I had to re edit everything!

Now I've made the beginners mistake of updating to AE, ME and Prem 2020 to see if any bugs have been fixed. What a stupid thing anyone could ever do!

'COULD NOT READ FROM SOURCE. PLEASE CHECK THE SETTINGS AND TRY AGAIN (86::1)' error message is everywhere.

Nothing about my system or media has changed.

In the morning everything is working as good as it ever could using Prem and AE as outlined above, I update over lunch, boom! nothing works in the afternoon, spent the rest of the day trying to get media in and out of AE, ME and PREM to try and make a 20 second teaser!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT! is your dilema in life Adobe! seriously! every single forum I look on your supposed experts are patronising your customers who are pulling their hair out trying to fix your basic errors or lies! All they ask is what system are you using, do you have the quicktime codec, this is a known issue, update to 17:0:6!!! We're all professionals here and we actually know what we're doing and we can usually figure out most random issues and carry on working but you've released a product that is no longer compatible with MP4, MOV, AVI, H264 when your previous version were. Either you have not tested something before release or you kow it is no longer compatible with those codecs but you won't tell us why. Your dealing with a community of fast paced mobile centric media makers. MP4, MOV, H264 and AVI is everywhere and everyone else is compatible and you're not.

Every single person who has written or viewed one of these posts about AE, ME and PREM 2020 source errors deserves a full refund in my view, you've wasted our time and our patience through a lie or complete incompetence.

For anyone who is having the same issues as anything that I have listed above, follow these steps, uninstall PREM, AE and ME 2020 and roll back to 2019 or 2018 if you still believe in Adobe's creative software. If you've had enough of Adobe all together then try installing Avid for editing and Davinci Resolve for colour and sound, and Fusion for VFX. They work, and they work well.

Don't get caught up in the hype of the connectivity of the full adobe package, it's just not capable of it and will only slow you down ten times longer on export. You may as well use alternative software and export between them as you'll be doing that between Prem and AE anyway, so no time lost.

The main issue right now is AE, ME and Prem not being compatible with some of the most frequently used codecs around! PAH! Still can't get over how bad it really is, what a joke!

TOPICS
Crash , Dynamic link , Error or problem , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dynamic Link between the two does not work

Yep, DL is really bad and only useful for small animations. When it gets serious, better export from AE and import into PPro.

you can export directly through Media Encoder and make use of your GPU

That's an AE limit. There is almost no GPU support, no matter what PPRo or ME provide. The rendering of an AE comp has to be done with AE, even if the comp is linked in PPro and exported with ME.

so I had to re edit everything

That's not Adobes fault. If you are a filmmaker for many years, you should have a prober file handling, including backups and autosaves.

Now I've made the beginners mistake of updating to AE, ME and Prem 2020

That is really a beginners mistake expected by students or amateurs. You never update during a project! This is not just a rule in Adobe universe, even Avid manages to release buggy updates.

Also, this is a user-to-user forum. Calling out Adobe is pointless here.

While you are right at some points, your main critic is just something stupid you did by yourself.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply, really glad to hear that you're so happy with your Adobe products and you've had as much time as me today to write this reply while you painfully watch your render run on your CPU and your GPU gather dust.

Yep, DL is really bad and only useful for small animations. When it gets serious, better export from AE and import into PPro. 

exactly, so what is the point of it then?? It's not fit for purpose, unless you only deal with small animations?

That's not Adobes fault. If you are a filmmaker for many years, you should have a prober file handling, including backups and autosaves

My autosave was set to default and was working correctly up until it wasn't, so when AE crashed my last autosave was from the previous day. No idea why, but I never adjust the autosave from default as it's unnecessary.

That is really a beginners mistake expected by students or amateurs. You never update during a project! This is not just a rule in Adobe universe, even Avid manages to release buggy updates.

Amateur?!? Bit rude but I won't get my handbag out or anything. Yes I updated during a project, but it was a 20 second teaser only using 5 very small files, hardly an amateur move, and obviously a few errors were to be expected but not the eradication of some of the most popular codecs used in on demand video. Strange how you've not covered that little oversight in your reply, do you work for Adobe or know something we all don't? Please enlighten me with a fix for this error or the reasoning behind it. 

Also, this is a user-to-user forum. Calling out Adobe is pointless here.

While you are right at some points, your main critic is just something stupid you did by yourself.

Yep this is a user to user forum, a forum which is overseen and regulated and monitored and occasionally engaged with by Adobe staff, perhaps my post was a little ranty, but I've read all of the other posts on the same topic and its a very sad read so I thought I 'd give my advice and switch to software which can actually handle a proper project. Also if you had paid attention I think it was clear that my main critic is that of the terrible dynamic link and associated issues and also the 2020 update errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines