Highlighted

Could somebody write me a simple countdown timer that'll work on a 23.976 comp?

Contributor ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need it to work such that when the composition hits the 24:00:00 mark, the timer will also show 24:00:00.

I've found countdown timer scripts online, but they all fail on 23.976 comps over a long duration. Maybe they're all designed to run on perfect 24fps comps.

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Could somebody write me a simple countdown timer that'll work on a 23.976 comp?

Contributor ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need it to work such that when the composition hits the 24:00:00 mark, the timer will also show 24:00:00.

I've found countdown timer scripts online, but they all fail on 23.976 comps over a long duration. Maybe they're all designed to run on perfect 24fps comps.

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 17, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One update... I meant to say a countup timer, not countdown

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want this to run as an expression on a text layer?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're thinking what I'm thinking, try applying this expression to the text property of a text layer:

var start = 240; // number of frames you want to offset by
var t = timeToFrames(x = time + thisComp.displayStartTime, fps = 1.0 / thisComp.frameDuration, isDuration = false);
timeToCurrentFormat(framesToTime(t + start, fps = 1.0 / thisComp.frameDuration), fps = 1.0 / thisComp.frameDuration, isDuration = false, ntscDropFrame = thisComp.ntscDropFrame);

The start variable is the frame equivalent of the timnecode you want to start from, so you don't have to start from "0:00:00:00". If you need to convert timecode to frames, try my timecode calculator (https://robwomack.com/timecode-calculator/), type in your timecode and click the TC button (it toggles between timecode and frames). Or take a look under the timecode in the AE timeline - it shows frame numbers there. If you want to start from zero, make start = 0.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0