• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crashing when using Windows Remote Desktop

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously due to the current virus situation, our office is working from home.

We are connecting to our work PC via Remote Desktop.

The problem is that for some reason, some of our heavier projects (heck, some I wouldn't even call heavy) crash because of remote desktop.

I was in the office a day before, working on a project that I then sent to my coworker who was working remotely and he would imediately get a crash report message when opening the project.

Later, I connected remotely to my PC and would open the project without a problem, but then I would get the same crash as soon as I tried to for example parent few layers at once or changing viewer resolution...

Also, hardware acceleration is disabled for the viewer because remote desktop doesn't support it. And I don't know if that's the reason why we are getting these crashes. Because I am 100% sure that the projects do not crash when working locally. Even tried to open the project on my home PC and it worked absolutely fine.

Work PC:

Ryzen Threadripper 2920X 

RTX 2070 Super

64GB RAM

Windows 10 Enterprise

Home PC:

Ryzen 2700X

RTX 2080 Ti

16GB RAM

Windows 10 Pro

Provided a copy paste of crash info that gets sent via the crash window. For some reason AE doesn't generate a crash report in the logs folder when this happens.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Sorry, forgot about this. It turns out in my case it was because of Red Giant plugins. They rely on GPU/hardware acceleration which remote desktop disables for some reason... Also, Element 3D doesn't work because the OpenGL/OpenCL module can't be loaded for the same reason...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software are you using for remote desktop?

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just Windows' default Remote Desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made good experience with AnyDesk, but I'm not sure if I ever used it with AE. It's working with Avid for sure.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that has ever worked well. Permissions, data rate, and a bunch of other things can foul up AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get around to a solution?  I have been working on AE remotely since March.  I have found that Projects with more than 20 or 30 comps starts to drag AE down. 

I just started with a project that needed versioning.  AE was running fine in the beginning.  As the number of comps increased, AE started slowing up - Even if I only had one comp open and the rest closed up inside a folder.

The same goes for when I use scripts. Low number of Comps, scripts work.  High number of comps, scripts freeze AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, forgot about this. It turns out in my case it was because of Red Giant plugins. They rely on GPU/hardware acceleration which remote desktop disables for some reason... Also, Element 3D doesn't work because the OpenGL/OpenCL module can't be loaded for the same reason...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines