• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create MOGRTs in After Effects for premiere with different aspect ratio settings

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm making some MOGRTs in after effects that editors need to use in Premiere and they need to work 16x9, vertical and square. What is the best way to create settings in the MOGRT so that I can deliver a single MOGRT with options for the editor to select the screen size they are using? If it was a name strap for example the scale and position of everything would need to be slightly different for each screen size. Can anyone suggest the best way to set this up? 

Thank you, 

James

TOPICS
Expressions , How to , Import and export , Scripting , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Valorous Hero , Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Premiere locks a MoGRT's screen aspect ratio when it is first imported into a project. Hence, there is no ONE MoGRT fits all scenario. AE is fine for Comp-Aware templates but not so with Premiere. Perhaps this may change in the future as more users write in to request such a feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

What you could do is create a separate comp for each aspect ratio and then place all of them as precomps in a master comp (that should have a size big enough to include all the others, i.e. if you support 1920x1080 and 1080x1080 and 1080x1920 your master comp should have 1920x1920).

Then in the Master Properties, you could

1. add a dropdown control to choose the aspect ratio, say "16:9", "1:1" 9:16"

2. to the opacity of the precomp layer for the 16:9 content add an expression

var variant = LINK_

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere locks a MoGRT's screen aspect ratio when it is first imported into a project. Hence, there is no ONE MoGRT fits all scenario. AE is fine for Comp-Aware templates but not so with Premiere. Perhaps this may change in the future as more users write in to request such a feature.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I was also looking for some script / expression suggestions so that I can set up a position property in AE in the MoGRT labelled as 'aspect ratio' so the editor can select the screen size they want and the mogrt is set up to reposition the animation depending on which option they choose. If there's an easy way to do that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you could do is create a separate comp for each aspect ratio and then place all of them as precomps in a master comp (that should have a size big enough to include all the others, i.e. if you support 1920x1080 and 1080x1080 and 1080x1920 your master comp should have 1920x1920).

Then in the Master Properties, you could

1. add a dropdown control to choose the aspect ratio, say "16:9", "1:1" 9:16"

2. to the opacity of the precomp layer for the 16:9 content add an expression

var variant = LINK_DROPDOWN_HERE;
(variant == 1)? 100:0

That way opacity of the precomp will be 100 if first option is choosen in dropdown and otherwise it will be 0, i.e. invisible

3. do the same for all other variants but change the variant check accordingly i.e. variant == 2 for the second variant etc. Then always exactly one variant is visible depending on which variant you choose in the dropdown.

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's perfect thank you! 

The only thing is that this has created a new issue with the source text - now that I have a precomp for each aspect ratio the source text is now inside the precomp so I can't make it an editable part of the MOGRT. 

Any clever expressions to fix that? 

Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure you can use expression to link all text to one text layer and you can use this text layer in your essential graphic panel, you can learn about text and text style expression here https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/expressions-text-properties.html also you can even create a responsive design in AE and this can be controlled also from PP so you can get something like that 

68747470733a2f2f7777772e6973746f636b706c75732e636f6d2f696d616765732f50726f6d6f2d726573706f6e736976652e676966.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you have any resources that teach how to do this?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can drag a source text of a precomp right onto the Essential Graphics panel for the main comp to make it editable in the template. Make sure to first insert it as a precomp in the main comp and only after that drag the property on the panel.

Of course, you want a single control to set the texts in all your precomps. Therefore, you can put the text of the first one in the essential graphics panel and link the texts in the other precomps to the one in the first one.

To link, open the timelines of the first and second precomp side by side and then with the pick-whip in the "parent & link" column of the timeline, drag the pick-whip from the source text in the second precomp to the respective source text property in the first precomp. That way the one in the second is linked to the one in the first precomp and will update with it automatically.

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, if you need any kind of automatic layout in your templates, make sure to take a look at my extension Pins & Boxes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines