Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a dynamic slot machine animation

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, 

I want to build a slot machine project, and I need it to be dynamic.

I want to be able to control each time what three icons will be displayed when the wheels stop spinning.

I don't want to build it in the traditional way with three vertical strips of all the icons and then animation the Y position, I want it to behave like a particle system that generates instances of the icons on the fly, and knows which ones to pick according to the outcome I choose.

Any Ideas?   

Thanks

TOPICS
Expressions , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the point in the instance-generation approch.

You have to pre-build the icons in every case, so why not pre-building all icons and map them? If the desired icon is a circle, you can translate "circle" to any position, layer index number, array index, or however you build things up.

Keep in mind that an Expression for such a purpose will be fairly complex, might executing very slow due to the "hold value" problem. Evalutate if keyframing will be the better and faster solution.

There is also a cross-way where you would keyframe animate all posibillities and use expression to "choose" the corresponding animation.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could use a precomp for each icon. Inside the precomp you could put one layer for each possible symbol and then show / hide those with expressions as I show in this tutorial

https://mamoworld.com/tutorials/data-driven-animation-json-after-effects-part-3-showhide-layers

However, I agree with Matin, that this would be unnecessarily complex and slow, so using what you describe as the traditional way might make more sense.

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines