Creating a realistic compilation of a video clip overlayed on top of an object in After Effects

New Here ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a realistic video scene that consists of a 14 second video clip of a beach with incoming waves and a .png text made in Photoshop to look like writing in sand. I am ovelaying the video clip on top of the png file and it more or less works, but it just doesn't look as realistic as I would like. I am using the darken blending mode.

I am willing to pay $100 to anyone who gives me the best solution to my problem. I can email the files I am using.

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Creating a realistic compilation of a video clip overlayed on top of an object in After Effects

New Here ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a realistic video scene that consists of a 14 second video clip of a beach with incoming waves and a .png text made in Photoshop to look like writing in sand. I am ovelaying the video clip on top of the png file and it more or less works, but it just doesn't look as realistic as I would like. I am using the darken blending mode.

I am willing to pay $100 to anyone who gives me the best solution to my problem. I can email the files I am using.

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 15, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot of the comp viewer and the timeline with the properties might be more relevant than offering cash. Not that I wouldn't mind making a buck, but generally I'm pretty sure the issue could be resolved with providing some free tips. This is what this forum is for, after all.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with Mylenium on this one. What is realistic? This is Phase 1 of a tutorial I am making on integrating C4D Lite a shot that has been Camera Tracked so I can create some light sources, an extruded Neon Sign, and put some palm trees on the other side of the street. The first step was to trim the shot, run the camera tracker, load up a bunch of reference solids and add a couple of light sources, and export that to a C4D file. The C4D file is then edited, materials applied to the 3 new objects in the scene, and after about an hour my name is on the building and it kind of looks like it is a neon sign, my name is on the window, and one light fixture is hanging. It looks pretty good and everything is tracking perfectly. 

Screenshot_2020-05-15 23.26.44_DXsYtI.png

Still to go: reflections in the window that interact with the name on the window, the pool of light the illuminates the two people walking under the theater marquis, the neon tubes inside the big logo, Replacing the text under the sign, the palm trees with lights on the far side of the street, and some improvements to the shadows that pass when the cars drive by. I'm thinking about 25 more layers and about 4 or 5 hours more work. Come to think of it, I could use a moon in the sky and a few stars peeking out from behind the clouds. I wasn't doing anything for lunch anyway.

Post a screenshot and give us a detailed description and maybe we can help. The biggest questions I have are:

• Is the camera moving?
  • Do the waves roll over the text?
  • Does the sand need to move?
  • Do the letters in the sand need to look 3D?
  • Does the water need to swirl around in the letters?
  • What is the lighting like?

A realistic composite of a 14-second shot could take anywhere from a half-hour to three months. It all depends on the shot and the design specification. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0