• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating shape layers from AI file causing performance issues.

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

So I've had a problem for the past few weeks where when I put an AI file into AE, convert it to shape layers, everything suddenly slows right down. I'm trying to resposition things and scrub through timeline, its just unbearablably slow (literally scrub and it will take 10+ seconds to update). I've used this method for over 6 years almost everyday and never had this issue.

Its totally fine if I'm just using the Illustrator files/layers inside a comp, smooth as butter. Very weird as I've usually found that AI files are slower to work with than shape layers.

I'm also getting way more crashes than normal, about 2 a day, eeeeeek.

Specs are top end:

i9 9900K

36gb 3200hz CL14 ram

GTX 1070

Running Windows 10 Pro

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specific details about the AI files and screenshots might help.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its literally any AI file!

My work around is just to re-create the graphic inside after effects with a shape layer, however that renders my previous AI work/design useless.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is the green frame part of the file, a Null object or the "preview" boundaries of e.g. a Remove Grain effect? In teh latter case this would easily explain it, as it's a slow as hog effect. Otherwise I'm at a loss, though a lot of AI-related stuff seems wacky in recent releases.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does that file contains complex details in illustartor ?

can you share a screenshot for the converted layer showing how many path has been created ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not very complex at all, the most is about 13 paths for one of the shape layers, which is a fair amount. However, I've never had problems with that in the past. I've had shape layers with 50+ paths inside with no issues, until now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines