Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 Errors: QuickTime not installed

New Here ,
May 01, 2010 May 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro 4GB RAM, 2.53 Ghz Core2

I've installed CS5 on my Mac Pro desktop without any issues, however my laptop is another story. When After Effects launches it complains that it cannot write the Workspaces.xml file. Repairing permissions did not resolve the issue. I used the Uninstaller with the delete preferences option checked and reinstalled but no joy. Tried this twice without success.

If I dismiss the error message After Effects complains that QuickTime is not installed, it is installed QT Pro 7x and then reports that an output module is missing. Half the time it then crashes (have submitted crash report) the other half of the time it launches and will import QuickTime but no output modules of any kind are available. The Render Que is blank with no controls to create an output module.

I've filed a tech support report but no one will answer until Monday at the earliest. I'm posting here in hope that the solution is simple.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

I think I figured out the solution this morning, at least it worked for me. I posted it in this thread as well: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2780763#2780763

It's a conflict with some Adobe Preference files.

This morning I decided to try pulling out the entire  Adobe Preferences folder, User:Preferences:Adobe and just put back  Adobe:After Effects, and After Effects CS5 booted perfectly. It boots  quickly and I don't even get the dynamiclinkmanager crash that I have  been getting.

And I it seems

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2010 Aug 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also tried every single bit of advice with no solution in sight. Our final, drastic measure -- formatting the computer that's having trouble and starting from a fresh OS install. We're planning on doing that later this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kiogo75-

Make sure to do Steps 7 and 8:

7. Click the lock in the Directory Utility window.
8. Enter an administrator account name and password, then click OK.

If you don't do those first, then you can't enable the root user.

Also,  if it does work in Root, but you aren't subsequently able to get it to  work in the original account, then I'd advise taking the steps detailed  in this document:

http://go.adobe.com/kb/ts_kb408993_en-us

(Step 2 may not be applicable for this issue, but all of the other steps should be tried.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kiogo75-

Make sure to do Steps 7 and 8:

I did everything up to step nine, but after clicking the lock, this is my screen:

Screen shot 2010-08-26 at Aug26 12.35.30 PM.png

Step 9 says "Choose Enable Root User from the Edit menu."

Any advise?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I got past step 9 and logged in as root. Launched AfterEffects and got the following errors in sequence on startup:

Screen shot 2010-08-26 at 12.50.48 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-08-26 at 12.52.03 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-08-26 at 12.52.55 PM.png

Please advise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2010 Aug 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also,  if it does work in Root, but you aren't subsequently able to
get it to  work in the original account, then I'd advise taking the
steps detailed  in this document:

http://go.adobe.com/kb/ts_kb408993_en-us

(Step 2 may not be applicable for this issue, but all of the other steps should be tried.)

@Carey Burgess, since it is not working in Root, what should I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2010 Aug 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried everything but it seems after fx cs5 is useless on my computer ! cs4 worked like a charm, i should reinstall it so I can work.

please adobe do something ! i'm going mad with this issue ! and i'm not alone...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kiogo75, if it's not working in Root, then we know it's a system-wide problem that isn't related to permissions. This would point to a firewall, web filter, or some other software process that might be blocking the QT32 Server process. Alternatively, it could mean that your installation of Mac OS is damaged.

Do you, by chance, have a web server set up on your machine? Mac OS includes an Apache web server, although it's not enabled by default, and it's possible it's interfering. I'm just guessing here, but again we are fairly certain that something running in the background the cause.

@bd2s, if you haven't already, try using After Effects while logged into the Root account. There are instructions for enabling and logging into this posted above. Let me know whether or not that works for you, and then we'll go from there. (Don't want to waste your time with unnecessary steps, and this will help us narrow in on the problem.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Xserve we're having trouble with also functions as our DNS server. I'm assuming that's likely the problem?

So, the obvious question: what changed from CS4 to CS5 that's now causing trouble, and is it going to be patched?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> So, the obvious question: what changed from CS4 to CS5 that's now causing trouble...?

Apple doesn't provide a 64-bit QuickTime component. We had to create a QuickTime server component to communicate between the 32-bit QuickTime and the 64-bit After Effects. This component uses TCP to communicate. Some aggressive software blocks this TCP communication.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/857/cpsid_85711.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2010 Aug 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Carey Burgess

Thanks for advice but i run win7 x64. I tried using a different account but no luck...

I think I tried everything from this thread and others.

I don't know if a fresh windows install will help, but it's my last chance.

Bored to spend hours and hours on this kind of issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bd2s wrote:

@ Carey Burgess

Thanks for advice but i run win7 x64. I tried using a different account but no luck...

I think I tried everything from this thread and others.

I don't know if a fresh windows install will help, but it's my last chance.

Bored to spend hours and hours on this kind of issue.

I've read the whole thread but had a similar pb on windows vista.

I installed Quicktime, then AE CS5 and got the "QT not found" problem.

Then I installed iTunes with Quicktime, relaunched AE and it worked great.

So if you've haven't install QT with iTunes, it's worth trying.

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a fresh install it works great !

@sebastien : I saw your message after my reinstall process, but I installed the itunes x64 + quicktime bundle and everything works. Maybe it would have been enough to install it, i'll nerver know !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2010 Sep 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem (Mac OS 10.6.4).

Under root and in safe mode i have no problems. But under my accaunt it is(((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2010 Sep 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issues here,

When I read the comment about the preferences I changed the permission for the folder /Users/derek/Library/Preferences/Adobe to Read and Write for staff & everyone, then I restarted the app with Command-Option-Shift held, which prompts to recreate preferences.

This fixed the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Derek. But in my situation, nothing has changed. (

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@K0sm0s:

Let's narrow down the problem further.

Create a new user account with the same permissions as your current account (e.g. administrator or standard user), log out of your current account (don't use fast user switching), log into the new account, and then try to launch After Effects.

Do you get the error?

If you don't get the error in the new account, then I suspect you have login items in the original account that are interfering with After Effects, or that there are some damaged files in your original acount.

If you still get the error in the new account, then there's a system-wide issue, most likely either damaged system files or incorrectly set permissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the new account i get error. But in safemode and in the root account i get not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 23, 2010 Dec 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also still the problem. Is there in the meantime a functioning solution?

MacOs 10.6.5 · AE 10.x

With kind regards Addiâ„¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 23, 2010 Dec 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The QT32 Server that AE uses to communicate with QuickTime is looking specifically for QuickTime 7, so be sure that you have that installed.

I believe the default option on 10.6 is to install just QuickTime X, and this wouldn't work for AE.

Here's a document for how to install QuickTime 7:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3678

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 25, 2010 Dec 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed both · QuickTime X and QuickTime 7 pro · but that did not also help with the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 08, 2011 Jan 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AdiumX,

There are a few things that cause After Effects to report that QuickTime is not installed.

One is the obvious one, which it sounds like you've looked into: If QuickTime 7.x is not installed, After Effects will report that QuickTime is not installed.

The next most common reason is quite different: The TCP communication with the QuickTime server is blocked, so After Effects thinks that QuickTime isn't there at all. The fix for this to remove the blockage in communication. Sometimes the blockage is because of an aggressive firewall program, which sees the TCP communication and stops it. If this is the case, then you can either turn the firewall software off or specifically allow the QT32 Server component to communicate; instructions for letting a specific process communicate are different for each firewall program, so you'll have to look in the documentation for your security software for information about doing that. Here's a document with some more information about this general issue, though it refers to a more serious failure when the blockage happens at a different step in the After Effects startup process: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/857/cpsid_85711.html

Another reason is that QuickTime can fail to initialize fully because it gets stuck loading a badly written importer component. If you have any AVI importers/codecs on your Mac, this could be the issue. Here's a message that goes into some detail about that: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2808379#2808379

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 08, 2011 Jan 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I have the rule for AE in LittleSnitch modified and now start AE correctly.

action: allow
process: After Effects
destination: local-net-IPv4
port: any
protocol: any
help: itself _ activate.wip4.adobe would

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 12, 2011 Apr 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i had the same problem here and  i solved with mi macbook pro files, i went to Macintosh  HD>Library>Aplications Support>Adobe>Common>dynamiclink  and bring this folder to my iMac that didn't had so i placed in the same  direction in my mac and now it works perfectly fine.

i  don't know why in my iMac i didn't had that folder, and i uploaded to a  server so u can download it www.jorgeballeza.co.cc/dynamiclink.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2011 Jul 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, i tried everything but only one thing worked, format and new OS install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2011 Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just had this problem, but turning all firewalls and virus checkers fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines