Highlighted

CSV File in Comp Exponentially Increases Project Size

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a project that requires having a lot of compositions referencing the same CSV file. When bringing the csv file into the composition (see my note below as to why I'm doing this), the project goes from 53kb to 5300kb+. After duplicating the composition a number of times, it quickly gets into the GB files sizes and saving takes and unreal amount of time. Any reason why?

I know that you can reference it through the `footage('myfile.csv')` method, but then you can't send the project off to aerender.exe or media encoder as those outside methods won't pick up on files referenced only via expressions...for whatever reason. I was wanting to use this method to automate a render of 8300 individual animations for a graduation referencing the CSV graduate list. I found a work around with multiple projects and a python/jsx script, but it would've been much more ideal to use aerender instead. Is there any fix that would allow for aerender.exe to be able to reference files in the project panel?

Thanks!

Topics

Dynamic link, Error or problem, Expressions, Freeze or hang, Import and export, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

CSV File in Comp Exponentially Increases Project Size

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a project that requires having a lot of compositions referencing the same CSV file. When bringing the csv file into the composition (see my note below as to why I'm doing this), the project goes from 53kb to 5300kb+. After duplicating the composition a number of times, it quickly gets into the GB files sizes and saving takes and unreal amount of time. Any reason why?

I know that you can reference it through the `footage('myfile.csv')` method, but then you can't send the project off to aerender.exe or media encoder as those outside methods won't pick up on files referenced only via expressions...for whatever reason. I was wanting to use this method to automate a render of 8300 individual animations for a graduation referencing the CSV graduate list. I found a work around with multiple projects and a python/jsx script, but it would've been much more ideal to use aerender instead. Is there any fix that would allow for aerender.exe to be able to reference files in the project panel?

Thanks!

Topics

Dynamic link, Error or problem, Expressions, Freeze or hang, Import and export, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works as it is designed to. The data is at least partially redundantly embedded in the project structure caused by the expressions referencing them. There's really not much you can do about it and the method you use doesn't really change the behavior. However, 53 kB of text data is a lot and you might consider simply splitting the source file into multiple more managable chunks. At least this will minimize the data duplication in some places.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mylenium,

Yeah, I guess that makes sense, but from a user standpoint, it seems like you should be able to send things to aerender.exe and know that all of what you're referencing will pass through to the final render. And if the work around is that you must put everything to be rendered in a composition, then there should be a way to do that without blowing up the project file. My basic question is why does CSV file into a comp slow down my system, and why does the aep file size exponentially grow when duplicating the comp a few times? I asked this because there wasn't much info out there, and if I knew what AE was doing, I could find a work around for my specific situation.

What I eventually figured out was that if I drop the CSV into a composition, and then drop that composition into the end comp (even if the CSV comp isn't doing anything other than living there), the comp size doesn't blow up and I'm able to use the aerender.exe. 

Anyway, CSVs and AE look like a match made in Data Automation/Animation heaven, but issues like these make tight deadlines and long renders even more of a headache.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines