• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom laptop specs for After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the specs for a custom build I am about to order from ADK Computers .

I would love to know if I am making a good choice for the following workflow:

Motion graphics within AE. I will be working with many layers in 3d environment. I also like to run multiple applications while working on a project. The main goal is to cut down on render times and preview times and all the other obvious wishes a mobile digital artist might have...

Here are the specs:

1 x Intel Core i9-10900k 10th Gen 10-Core 3.7 GHz (Turbo 5.3 Ghz) $599.00

1.  1 x 64 Gig (2x 32 Gigs) DDR4-3000 SODIMM $732.00
    1. 1 x NVIDIA RTX 2070 w/8GB GDDR6 (Max-Q) $325.00
      1. 1 x Samsung 970 EVO PLUS NVMe M.2 500GB SSD $170.00
        1. 1 x Samsung 860 EVO M.2 1TB Internal SSD $210.00

Total $4,182

TOPICS
FAQ , Performance , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to educate yourself on how AE actually works. What would you even do with a ten core processor, of which only two will be used most of the time due to AE's limited multithreading? Conversely, what use is an RTX 2070 when a) AE itself is barely GPU accelerated and b) most accelerated third-party plug-ins at this point don't support a single specific function of this card. You know, most of them still use basic OpenGL and older implementations of openCL/ CUDA. Sorry, but your setup simply makes no sense for AE. You could easily shave off 2000 bucks with a less fancy system using a 4/6 core core7i and an older NVidia card. So if at all you go down that route, these specs would only ever be useful for gaming or a 3D program. Otherwise the old rule applies: You can't force AE to do anything by overpowering it with hardware. For more info simply read the gazillions of "How to optimize performance..." threads where I and others have explained all the details at lengths pretty much at least once every week over the years.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know. I also run 3D Modeling. So the intent is to design a mobile workstation that has plenty of headroom to handle many programs open at the same time and keep up with the unorthodox workflow which I have. 

It looks like the system I am building may be overpowered for AE alone. But will i not see benefits while running AE, PS, PP, ME, Web browsers, and things of that nature at the same time?

I feel like I'm still making a good choice here. Maybe overboard, but not harmful... right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so i just dropped a fortune on a new laptop to handle my after effects and premiere pro work. and soon as i download and open AE i get an unsupported driver message: NVIDIA Ge Force RTX 2070 w/ Max-Q design.

can i just update the driver and be on my way. or is this a red flag?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check this thread –

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/system-compatibility-report-unsupported-video-driver-in...

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines