Highlighted

Dashed lines with same stroke width

Contributor ,
Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi forum.

I have made an ellipse an I have used the dashes feature so I can get lines (like the example on the right done in Illustrator). But the lines don't have the same stroke width, they seems thicker towards the outer part of the ellipse. Is there a way I can achieve this in AE? 

(I have also used the trim feature which I need, so I can animate the lines which is convenient).

AELines.jpg

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

Don't use dashes. Use a shape layer repeater or as an alternative a text layer with a mask as path.

Mylenium

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dashed lines with same stroke width

Contributor ,
Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi forum.

I have made an ellipse an I have used the dashes feature so I can get lines (like the example on the right done in Illustrator). But the lines don't have the same stroke width, they seems thicker towards the outer part of the ellipse. Is there a way I can achieve this in AE? 

(I have also used the trim feature which I need, so I can animate the lines which is convenient).

AELines.jpg

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

Don't use dashes. Use a shape layer repeater or as an alternative a text layer with a mask as path.

Mylenium

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 29, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

So I used a repeater which did work, which I animated on each frame on bar rotating (But I didn't use a text layer mask).However I wanted to know, I had spread the frames and in between and there was a fade in animation until the keyframe appeared, I have not tampered with any opacity values!

So In order to avoid the fading in, fade out until the next bar appears, I moved all the keyframes closer on the timeline, which eliminated the fade in/fade out effect.

Whats the reason AE is doing this fade in fade out FX, having not tampered with the opacity of any keyframes? 

Aftereffects-Trimpahts.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, do it in illustrator and import as a comp. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2020 0