• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Diagonal lines on After Effects timeline?

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pretty new to After Effects and was following along to a tutorial when I started tweaking the keyframes around.... and then these lines came up. Any idea what they mean, if they are an issue, and/or how to get rid of them? 

RenderedImage.JPG

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Performance , Preview , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a problem. These diagonal lines indicate that you have trimmed the in point of your layer adding more frames to the start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find these grey lines a bit offputting visually? Any way to reset the layer to remove these lines? I have removed all keyframes and all the layers are images (not video)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set the in point to zero and move the layer manually to the position you want

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The UI has all kinds of clues to tell you what you have done to a layer. The hash marks indicate the original in point of a layer that is made with a solid, a shape layer, a Text layer. They can be useful. If you really want them to go away, move the CTI to the right of them, press Alt/Option + [ to set a new in point, then reposition the layer in the timeline by dragging and reposition all of the keyframes.

Be careful about the tutorials you watch. There are a great many recipes from enthusiasts that have poorly described workflows and in many cases, pretty lousy advice. The best place to get started quickly with AE is the User Guide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines