Highlighted

Do I still need a separate scratch disk and storage drive for After Effects?

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on an iMac Pro. I am getting 3027MB/s write and 2434MB/s read on the internal mac ssd. With speeds that fast, do I still need to have a separate scratch disk? Do I need to have my media on a third separate drive? This is a bit of an old school spinning disk approach, but I can't match my internal ssd speeds, not even close, with external.

I have an external nvme drive that gets me about 900 MB/s both write and read, which I have been using for my project files and storage. I'm considering moving my active project to the much faster system drive, but then everything will be on the same drive. But with 3K read and write speeds does it even matter anymore?

Thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated!

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Do I still need a separate scratch disk and storage drive for After Effects?

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on an iMac Pro. I am getting 3027MB/s write and 2434MB/s read on the internal mac ssd. With speeds that fast, do I still need to have a separate scratch disk? Do I need to have my media on a third separate drive? This is a bit of an old school spinning disk approach, but I can't match my internal ssd speeds, not even close, with external.

I have an external nvme drive that gets me about 900 MB/s both write and read, which I have been using for my project files and storage. I'm considering moving my active project to the much faster system drive, but then everything will be on the same drive. But with 3K read and write speeds does it even matter anymore?

Thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated!

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mylenium LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better question: Would there even be a point, given how slow some stuff in AE works? Unless you limit yourself to playing to 4k clips sans effects straight in the timeline, drooling in front of your screen with enawement at the limited technical wonders of AE, I can't see how this is even relevant. Even 900 MB/s is potentially a lot when the program takes its time to chew through frames and the rest will depend on the specific circumstances. The old rule still applies: A single effect can grind AE to a halt even today, though in reality it's often more a combination of one or two specific effects/ features that try to knock each other out. so with all respect, don't overthink it. Just try to do your work normally and only when some serious bottlenecks even manifest themselves consider going deeper on this.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines