• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do they really use After Effects in movies?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2009 Mar 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard from a buddy yesterday that they use Adobe After Effects for high budget, theatre films!? I thought it was more low-end than that...guess I was wrong. Oh well... SHWEEEET if it's true. :)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2009 Mar 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects is used in many feature films. It's used together with other tools to create and/or composite elements in a lot of visual-effects-heavy movies (like Sin City, Iron Man, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Stranger Than Fiction), but it's also used to composite together elements in movies that you don't think of as being visual-effects-heavy. The Emmy award winner for visual effects was John Adams. Very little in the background in that movie was real. And that was done with After Effects and Photoshop. This year's Academy Award winner for animated short also used After Effects. And, of course, it's used for a lot of title sequences and closing credit sequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they do. Anything from storyboarding to masking to final color corrections and, most importantly, pretty much any of those fancy mock UIs on screens in movies and TV series is either done completely in Ae or at least involved using it somewhere along the way... Also, many opening animations and credits are done with AE...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Aviator
http://www.adobe.com/motion/aviator.html

The Talented Mr Ripley
http://www.adobe.com/uk/motion/spotlights/mrripley/index.html

Van Helsing
http://www.smorgasboard.com/pages/van_helsing_movie.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2009 Mar 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Orphanage was a major VFX facility that revolved around After Effects. (RIP)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2009 Mar 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects is also used quite a bit in major Video games. I am the Senior Video Editor / Compositor on the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 franchise (Xbox 360 / Wii / PS3 / PS2 / PSP) and I use After Effects CS4 extensively for compositing video assets.

Hey...it ain't Feature Films, but it ain't "low end" either (hate when people refer to AE as "low end").

Joey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

totally. im with u there. phhhh, low end....i mean....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines