Highlighted

Does After Effects have a Color/Burn Tool like in Photoshop?

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to edit simple product videos shot on a white background, but there are cretain shaded spots that I want to make white, like the rest of the background. In Photoshop, i'd work with the Dodge and Burn tools until I get what I need, but I can't figure out how to replicate the same tools in After Effects.

Anybody have any good tips?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by MarekMularczyk | Adobe Community Professional

There is no Burn tool in After Effects, however what you could do is make a selection of the object you're trying to change (using Roto Brush tool), then copy it onto a separate layer and then change the area using an effect like Lumetri Color as an example

TOPICS
Expressions, FAQ, Resources, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Does After Effects have a Color/Burn Tool like in Photoshop?

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to edit simple product videos shot on a white background, but there are cretain shaded spots that I want to make white, like the rest of the background. In Photoshop, i'd work with the Dodge and Burn tools until I get what I need, but I can't figure out how to replicate the same tools in After Effects.

Anybody have any good tips?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by MarekMularczyk | Adobe Community Professional

There is no Burn tool in After Effects, however what you could do is make a selection of the object you're trying to change (using Roto Brush tool), then copy it onto a separate layer and then change the area using an effect like Lumetri Color as an example

TOPICS
Expressions, FAQ, Resources, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was a big help, thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Effects can use masks to limit their effectiveness. You could rotoscope a layer (setting keyframes for a mask), feather the mask, apply Curves, or exposure, or any other color correction and then choose the feathered mask under Compositing Options and limit the correction to inside or outside the mask. 

You can also duplicate the layer, mask the top copy, feather the mask, then experiment with blend modes and opacity. 

I use these techniques all the time along with Set Matte and adjustment layers to color-correct footage. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020 0