Highlighted

Does Mercury need to be on to enable GPU effects?

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced problems in the past when enabling Mercury GPU Acceleration (CUDA) in the Project Settings. Render artifacts sometimes appear that are not a problem when I choose Mercury Software Only.

If I choose Mercury Software Only, does that mean that I am unable to use GPU acceleration for individual effects, or does Mercury GPU only apply to rendering full frames?

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Does Mercury need to be on to enable GPU effects?

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced problems in the past when enabling Mercury GPU Acceleration (CUDA) in the Project Settings. Render artifacts sometimes appear that are not a problem when I choose Mercury Software Only.

If I choose Mercury Software Only, does that mean that I am unable to use GPU acceleration for individual effects, or does Mercury GPU only apply to rendering full frames?

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sort of errors are you seeing? You need Murcury turned on to enable GPU-acceleration, yes.

What GPU do you have? What driver version are you running?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 5 year old GeForce 980 Ti 6GB running the latest drivers, but I plan on getting a new RTX card soon.

The biggest error that I can remember was when compositing greenscreen footage over an overexposed background in 32bpc. The overexposed areas of the background showed up faintly through the forground even though the foreground alpha was one hundred percent opaque. Turning off Mercury seemed to solve the problem. After Effects does a terrible job handling 32bpc projects with linear EXR footage, so I'm not sure if the problem was exclusively a video card issue. But I seem to remember over the last couple years also having other instances where turning Mercury off helped solve a weird visual error.

So the bottom line is, if I want the Curves effect to be GPU accelerated, I need to have Mercury GPU Acceleration (CUDA) turned on in the Project Settings?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Szalam LATEST
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bottom line: yes.

That said, stuff like you're talking about sounds like a bug. If it's still happening in the latest version of AE, please report it! I know AE's EXR handling has been improved in recent versions (and GPU support has continued to improve too) though, so hopefully stuff like what you describe happens less often.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines