Highlighted

Duplicate a composition and make animations to it that will not affect the original composition

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

So I'm pretty much a freshie and still trying to learn AE, so forgive me if this is a rudimentary question that is not even worth a new topic thread..

I've got a composition, that's made out of plenty of layers and, within it, many separate animation effects. Now I wanna make a duplicate of this composition and place it in the background of the original composition, but as a silhouette with different animation effects. But when I try to duplicate the composition, (by using ⌘+C and ⌘+V, or ⌘+D), whatever changes I make to the new composition are applied on the old one too. I understand why this happens, but how do I duplicate the composition and its layers to make a brand new original set that I can tamper with without affecting the original?

Thanks in advance!

You need to duplicate the Composition in your Project panel not the one on your Timeline. When you duplicate a comp in your Project panel it creates a new master comp, but when you duplicate a comp on your Timeline panel it just creates a new reference to the original master comp.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Duplicate a composition and make animations to it that will not affect the original composition

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

So I'm pretty much a freshie and still trying to learn AE, so forgive me if this is a rudimentary question that is not even worth a new topic thread..

I've got a composition, that's made out of plenty of layers and, within it, many separate animation effects. Now I wanna make a duplicate of this composition and place it in the background of the original composition, but as a silhouette with different animation effects. But when I try to duplicate the composition, (by using ⌘+C and ⌘+V, or ⌘+D), whatever changes I make to the new composition are applied on the old one too. I understand why this happens, but how do I duplicate the composition and its layers to make a brand new original set that I can tamper with without affecting the original?

Thanks in advance!

You need to duplicate the Composition in your Project panel not the one on your Timeline. When you duplicate a comp in your Project panel it creates a new master comp, but when you duplicate a comp on your Timeline panel it just creates a new reference to the original master comp.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Participant ,
Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines