Highlighted

Edit duplicated template without changing others in comp

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, working with a motion graphics pack I bought from Toko graphics. I want to include 2 of the same "call-outs" in a single comp but if I edit one, it automatically edits the other. How do I edit them separately after duplicating?

Thanks!

TOPICS
FAQ, Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Edit duplicated template without changing others in comp

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, working with a motion graphics pack I bought from Toko graphics. I want to include 2 of the same "call-outs" in a single comp but if I edit one, it automatically edits the other. How do I edit them separately after duplicating?

Thanks!

TOPICS
FAQ, Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks always tricky on the template, you can use this script to make a true duplicate https://aescripts.com/true-comp-duplicator/ 

or you can import the pack twice so will have 2 callouts each work separately, 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh thank you! This is what I was trying to figure out how to do but didn't know how to find the original comp.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to duplicate nested comps in the Project Panel, not in the timeline. If there are nested comps in the copy you are duplicating, you also have to duplicate those. Without seeing the expanded flow chart for your template with a note showing us which comp you need to duplicate it's pretty hard to give you specific instructions. Just duplicating something in a timeline does not duplicate the asset, it just makes a copy. If you want a duplicate that stands on its own you have to duplicate in the Project Panel.

As OussK said, there is a script for that. It makes things a lot easier, but even with the script, you have to understand how After Effects uses assets. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much, this worked! i duplicated the comp in the project panel. i don't understand how nested comps work in AE, have only worked with them in Premiere. i will use the script in the future! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0