• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing a mask changes mask mode

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, not sure what's going on here but since a few updates prior whenever I alter a mask (adjust a point, resize, reposition) it changes the mask mode. For example, I draw a mask and set the mode as 'Add'. I then move it and After Effects changes the mode to 'None' or 'Difference' all by itself, forcing me to go through the added step of changing it back to 'Add'. What's going on here and how do I stop this? It's driving me crazy. I've searched through the preferences but couldn't see anything obviously related.

TOPICS
Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump.. no-one else is experiencing this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pmcdonald,

I haven't seen this issue before. Have you tried resetting the After Effects preferences yet: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-after-effects/td-...

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only time a click should thange a mask mode is when you have a mask selected, your finger on the mouse button and you press a one of the modifier keyrs. N for none, A for add, S for Subtrack, I for intersect and F for difference. D will Darken but that only has an effect is you have changed mask opacity. 

You shoul take a look at my friend John Dickenson's great tutorial series Work Smarter & Faster in After Effects. Here's the one on masking:

I have never heard of a bug that causes a click to change the mask modes. If it really is a bug make sure you file a bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i'm having this issue on Windows 10 too. As soon as I modify a mask it changes to 'intersect' if that layer is one in a stack or 'none' if it's the only layer and you have to keep going back an manually changing it. Lots of hassle when rotoing. I have to have the original layer underneath without a mask as a guide layer so I can continue rotoing without it spakking-out! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you have a mask point selected and you press "a" for add, "s" for subtract,  "d" for darken, "f" for difference, "i" for intersect? I almost never change a mask mode by making selections in the timeline, I use the selection tool (v) with the mask selected or the pen tool (g), select a point, click and hold and use the shortcut to change mask modes. 

I've never seen this bug before but it has been reported by a few. You might try resetting your keyboard or mouse preferences in your control panel or system settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your reply Rick! This is a sporadic problem. For instance, i've just re-opened a project where I had dramas with the masking and now it's fine and working as it should! BUT, if I click on a mask vertex and hit 's' for example, the layers 'Scale' pops up in the timeline instead of changing the mask mode to 'Subtract'...

When I open Keyboard shortcuts there are no key commands under 'Mask' for any Mode. The Keyboard Layout Preset is set to After Effects Default.txt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the workflow:

• Press M to reveal the mask paths
  • Press "v" to choose the selection tool
  • Select the path you want to edit in the Timeline
  • The selection tool will change to a white arrow when you are near the path - Drag a selection around any mask point you want to select (also works with the pen tool while you are drawing the path
  • With the mouse button still pressed on a selected mask path or point press the shortcut key

As long as the mouse button is pressed and a path is selected, when you hit the shortcut key the mode will change. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cheers for that Rick! It makes sense that you have to keep the mouse button down to change the mask mode. It's a bit like changing the rounded corner size of a rounded rectangle mask by tapping the up & down key before you release the mouse button when you draw your rectangle.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines