Highlighted

Effects applied on lower layers aren't showing up in the comp window.

New Here ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. Hoping you can help me out. After the recent updates to AE, any effects I apply to lower layers aren't showing up in the comp window. Only the top layer will show up. Even if I toggle the effect on or off. Screen shot attached. Thanks!

Topics

Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Effects applied on lower layers aren't showing up in the comp window.

New Here ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. Hoping you can help me out. After the recent updates to AE, any effects I apply to lower layers aren't showing up in the comp window. Only the top layer will show up. Even if I toggle the effect on or off. Screen shot attached. Thanks!

Topics

Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE.png

Screenshots are easier to see if you embed them using the toolbar. 

I see that there are no effects applied to the top copy of the GOPRO4078.MP4 movie on layer 1, and that Levels has been applied to the bottom copy. 

If there are no masks on layer 1 and the transparency of layer 1 is set to 100% then there are no holes in Layer 1 that allow you to see what is going on in Layer 2 when you apply or adjust the Levels effect.

This makes me think that you are starting your first After Effects project and you have not spend any time with the User Guide. There is nothing wrong with AE, just with the workflow and the expectations. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, thank you for your response and the link to the User Guide. I definately need to spend more time learning the software. That being said, I'll try to elaborate on what I was doing and maybe you or someone else can guide me in the right direction. I've been using AE to color correct underwater video. What I've picked up as a workflow is to take my footage and duplicate it. Then select the bottom layer and use levels to pull out all of the red. (or green as in the case of the screenshot I posted.) The next step is to select the top layer and use channel mixer to make additional adjustments. (Like a custom filter I suppose) Then I would blend the two together. (Blending mode add) Lastly I would add an adjustment layer to finish it off. Auto levels, auto color, ect. If the color wasn't what I wanted to acheive, I would go back into the various layers and make adjustments. My issue, was that a few months ago, I could select a layer before the blending and see the effects of what I was doing independently of the other layer. I assumed it was a seting or something I accidentally clicked, but after removing all syncing, un-installing, re-insstalling, the only layer showing in the preview is the top layer. From what I've picked up watching a few more videos, is that maybe I can just do all of the color correcting in a single layer. Thanks again for the advice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines