Highlighted

Effects seem to break my 3d space & I am looking for a workaround. Like setting a matte in Z-space?

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! So I have a 3d box. When I apply a glow (or any effect, really) anything in my 3d space stops interacting with it properly. See images for explanation, one has glow applied, and one does not. The shoe no longer lives inside the box but under it. If you know what's going on here I would love to know!

Glow offGlow offGlow onGlow on

But if not, a workaround idea I had was having a duplicate box layer on top of the shoe, with the glow applied and a matte in Z-space, clipping it before it hits the shoe. Basically, one box section behind the shoe, and one in front. Is there a way to set a matte in Z-space to accomplish this?

Here's how the box was built (in case that is pertinent information): I applied stoke to four 3d squares with masks, precomped them, and set that precomp to continuously rasterize.

Thank you!!!

Topics

Expressions, FAQ, How to, Preview, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Effects seem to break my 3d space & I am looking for a workaround. Like setting a matte in Z-space?

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! So I have a 3d box. When I apply a glow (or any effect, really) anything in my 3d space stops interacting with it properly. See images for explanation, one has glow applied, and one does not. The shoe no longer lives inside the box but under it. If you know what's going on here I would love to know!

Glow offGlow offGlow onGlow on

But if not, a workaround idea I had was having a duplicate box layer on top of the shoe, with the glow applied and a matte in Z-space, clipping it before it hits the shoe. Basically, one box section behind the shoe, and one in front. Is there a way to set a matte in Z-space to accomplish this?

Here's how the box was built (in case that is pertinent information): I applied stoke to four 3d squares with masks, precomped them, and set that precomp to continuously rasterize.

Thank you!!!

Topics

Expressions, FAQ, How to, Preview, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is perfectly normal behavior. Applying any effect flattens the buffers and may change the rendering order. It's simply how AE works. You may want to read up on the subject. Otherwise I can't see anything that would require elaborate Z-masking here. It could all be done with a simple 2D track matte using duplicates and a bit of masking. After all, all you need is the front stroke to appear in the right place, isn't it. Sure, you can go crazy and re-rig this, but a) those VC reflection thingies already use all tricks in the box to create their illusions and tend to fall apart once you try to push too hard and b) it would be a lot of work. You know, you'd still need mattes for each individual stroke and they may need to be dynamically turned on and off with expressions.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok! Thanks for this. I didn't realize that was the behavior of effects on 3d layers, should've read up on that! I'm at an intermediate level with AE, still have a lot to learn.

I do realize that AE is not a true 3D software but I thought there might be some way to control the visibility of pixels along Z. Seems like that'd be a pretty easy solution to this if it did exist.

And to your point, I was planning to go the 2d mask route if all else failed, but with different easing and movement, it will likely turn into a time-consuming task as well. 

Thanks again for taking the time!

Side-question, what do you mean when you say "VC reflections"?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate the layers that make up the 3D box, Pre-compose them, Turn on Collapse Transformations, Name the Pre-comp Matte, Open the Matte Comp and delete the back of the box layers, Return to the main comp and apply Set Matte to the Shoe layer and choose the Matte Comp as the source. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines