Highlighted

eGPU Slowing Down AE and Ilustrator

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I would post this in the AE forum as it's the bigger isssue...

I have a MBP os 10.15.5 running the lastest versions of Illustrator (24.2.1) and After Effects (17.1.2). I'm also using an eGPU-

I'm having an issue with my eGPU actually slowing down AE and Illustrator- major lags dragging and applying effects, etc. If I close the app and uncheck "prefer external GPU", things get back to normal. Here is what I'm working with:

MBP-

• OS 10.15.5
  • 2.3GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 M

CC:

• After Effects 17.1.2
  • Illustrator 24.2.1

eGPU

• Radeon RX 580
  • Akitio Node Thunderbolt 3 External PCIe Enclosure

There are no other devices connected to the enclosure. A single thunderbolt cable runs to my Mac plugged into the opposite side of the power.

If there is any more info you need, please let me know. Otherwise thanks in advance for any help.

Topics

Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

eGPU Slowing Down AE and Ilustrator

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I would post this in the AE forum as it's the bigger isssue...

I have a MBP os 10.15.5 running the lastest versions of Illustrator (24.2.1) and After Effects (17.1.2). I'm also using an eGPU-

I'm having an issue with my eGPU actually slowing down AE and Illustrator- major lags dragging and applying effects, etc. If I close the app and uncheck "prefer external GPU", things get back to normal. Here is what I'm working with:

MBP-

• OS 10.15.5
  • 2.3GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 M

CC:

• After Effects 17.1.2
  • Illustrator 24.2.1

eGPU

• Radeon RX 580
  • Akitio Node Thunderbolt 3 External PCIe Enclosure

There are no other devices connected to the enclosure. A single thunderbolt cable runs to my Mac plugged into the opposite side of the power.

If there is any more info you need, please let me know. Otherwise thanks in advance for any help.

Topics

Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would guess After Effects supports only Nvidia CUDA for GPU acceleration.

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/system-requirements.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines