Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

eGPU utilisation - AMD Radeon VII - 16” MacBook Pro 2019

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I purchased an eGPU enclosure with an AMD Radeon VII to use with a MacBook Pro 2019 rendering Octane X with Cinema 4D. It's been fantastic for this purpose.

However, I'm failing to see its impact on my After Effects usage. I understand only GPU accelerated effects will utilise the eGPU.

Activity monitor shows little to no eGPU usage when using AE & rendering.

I've selected 'prefer eGPU' for AE application - 'get info'.

I'm looking for recommendations to increase working speed and Ram preview.

Then I'm looking for the best settings for utilising the eGPU during rendering. Do I render in AE, Media Encoder? 

Any thoughts / ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Also any insight into why Adobe hasn't yet fully utilised GPU power?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely irrelevant. AE barely uses the GPU for anything than its most basic UI functions and indeed a handful of effects. None of that bears any significant impact on actual rendering times or previews, given that in fact many times even this little GPU stuff will effectively disable itself due to how projects may be structured and what functions you use. There's nothing to say beyond that, so stop wasting your time for magical solutions. You can't coerce AE with hardware. Instead work on your understanding of how AE "ticks" and how to avoid typical performance bottlenecks by structuring your projects better - where possible - or considering commercial third-party effects with better GPU usage in place of AE's stock effects.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your response.

Let's dial down the anxiety levels please. My post was thorough and perfectly reasonable, it didn't require a cold, judgemental response accusing me of bad workflow and not understanding after effects properly.

You raised some good points, shame about the tone. 

Assuming I have an immaculate workflow, what would be your advice? Render in AE or Media Encoder? 
You must agree that Adobe needs to utilise more GPU power when rendering in AE?...
Would you recommend using a PC instead?

Kindest regards,

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nothing much to say here. Every time you render in AME, you are using DynamicLink, i.e. a container inside another container still using the lame AE code. So technically nothing changes for the actual rendering. Just the opposite - you are adding another layer of code that consumes memory and performance. The question of using AME only becomes relevant for final exports based on intermediate formats where indeed AME can use multiple cores and GPU accel on some formats, but still not all of them. Again, factually none of this really matters for the actual work and while I'm always inclined to dismiss Macs out of hand because Apple doesn't get a handle on their GPU features and messes around with OS X worse than Microsoft does with Windows, the facts don't change much: It still sucks even on a PC, with the only advantage being that you have a wider choice of GPUs and are able to avoid some problems by easier access to driver settings and such. In any case, if performance is such a concern, the blunt answer would have to be to move away from Adobe entirely and sadly that's pretty much true for most of their programs. They just don't get a handle on this stuff and only seem to hire the most untalented programmers for these things...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines