Highlighted

EGPU

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!!

My PC for work is having issues rendering projects. I mean I will sit and wait 20 minutes for it to render and then if I adjust something It takes another 20 minutes or so. 

My position is considering buying a eGPU and I have read that Thunderbolt 3 is now compatiable with after effects. has anyone had success with it??

Thank you!!!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

Take a look at my reply to a similar post from today.

If you adopt the Pencil Test / Ink and Paint workflow used by everybody from Disney Studios to Pixar, you won't waste time waiting for ram previews and you'll gain a lot more confidence that your sequences are working. A Pencil Test with limited effects and even in the draft mode, or skipping frames, or at 1/4 resolution, will let you know that the staging and timing are working, and Ink and Paint on a few of your hero frames will let you know if you have all of the other things set up correctly when you check at full resolution with all effects, depth of field, lighting, and motion blur turned on. 

An EGPU may help a bit, but a more efficient workflow will help even more.

Topics

Crash, Error or problem, Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

EGPU

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!!

My PC for work is having issues rendering projects. I mean I will sit and wait 20 minutes for it to render and then if I adjust something It takes another 20 minutes or so. 

My position is considering buying a eGPU and I have read that Thunderbolt 3 is now compatiable with after effects. has anyone had success with it??

Thank you!!!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

If you adopt the Pencil Test / Ink and Paint workflow used by everybody from Disney Studios to Pixar, you won't waste time waiting for ram previews and you'll gain a lot more confidence that your sequences are working. A Pencil Test with limited effects and even in the draft mode, or skipping frames, or at 1/4 resolution, will let you know that the staging and timing are working, and Ink and Paint on a few of your hero frames will let you know if you have all of the other things set up correctly when you check at full resolution with all effects, depth of field, lighting, and motion blur turned on. 

Topics

Crash, Error or problem, Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Guide ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE does hardly use GPU - so, unless you are working with GPU accelerated 3rd party plugins - getting an eGPU will just je a waste of money.

Better get an optimized AE system. Read more about recommended hardware here:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php?query=after+effects

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be utterly pointless. AE barely even uses the GPU on the best of days and there's jsut too many ways to effectively disable it by creating a complex project. That and of course even getting an external GPU to work in a way that it relaibaly is accessible by application is its own black magic. So no, just keep your money and accept things as they are. Only taking a holistic approach and getting a better suited, optimized new machine may resolve these issues in the long run.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines