• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Empty Composition Window in After Effects... Just Grey with Open Options

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I open any After Effects project, I get a grey blank screen in my composition preview window. All I see are the two options to create a new comp, or new composition from footage. Occasionally, if I reset my preferences to default by launching After Effects and holding down CTRL + ALT + SHIFT, it will resolve the problem, however, it may take a couple tries. Resetting the workspace does not work, creating a new workspace does not work, and creating new comps makes no difference. Zooming in to fit the screen to 100% does not work either. So for now, I am just forced to constantly try and restart my AE in different ways through a project file, through administrator, or through resetting preferences and hopefully one of them will work to display my composition.

While this is a work around it takes time and shouldn't be happening to begin with. Any idea what the solution is here? Seems like the 2018 releases of Adobe are pretty glitchy. Premiere Pro is also giving off a weird glitch where if you import certain files within certain bins, your timelines freezes up, and won't respond, but Windows will, and you have to click on a menu item on top of the program to make it work. But that's a whole other issue for a whole other forum post.

Here's a screenshot of what I see in After Effects:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one knows? Guess this truly is a massive glitch/bug on Adobe's part. I'll be reverting back to the old version then 😕 ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for this frustration, GSmaniamsmart. Kindly contact our agents so that they can assist you with this issue: FAQ: How do I contact Adobe Support?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue with Ae and Pr, it was solved by resetting windows and installing a clean after effects and premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce your problem on any of the Mac (4 of them) or Windows machines I am working on almost every day. I suggest looking at GPU drivers, trying a clean install, or looking for 3rd party software that may be causing conflicts with your particular system. No comp panel, even if you close it and then re-open it, is not a common bug and without system and os details down to the last decimal point I have no solution that I know will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just underwent this glitch. Empty Disk Cache, quit the project and start again. This seems to clear up a lot of glitches. And there are a lot of glitches. That cleared it up for me.

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 3.02.23 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

emptying all the cache was did the trick for me too!.

Thanks for the post/suggestion. I was worried I'd broken the project file - disaster!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You beautiful life saver!!! Was slipping into madness

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same isuue, tried everything on the community and the internet, nothing worked

this is really frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue with Ae and Pr, it was solved by resetting windows and installing a clean after effects and premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue, did you ever find a permanent solution? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try double-clicking the currently selected workspace, or using Window/Workspace to reset the current workspace? Have you tried changing the workspace?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that this is pretty late and I am not sure if this will help, but when you open a new project and import the files look under window. If you haven't clicked on any of your layers yet, then near the bottom of this panel you will see one that says "Layer: (none)". If you click this it brings up the screen that you have, so try making sure that it is unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copying my content into a new coposition worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

updating to AE last version 18.0.1 solved it for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines