• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

equidistance between the letters of a word

New Here ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have a composition that animates the letters of a word. The word is made up of 10 letters and I need each letter to be anchored exactly on a specific position as in the figure below. So far I have created a comp with 10 precomps each containing a letter and so I have been able to position it at will. I have to change the word many times, is there a way to be able to type the whole word and not every single letter? I have not found text attributes that solve the problem because each letter has a different width: the "A" is different from the "I", etc. Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You forgot to embed an image. 

If you want equal spacing between letters the easiest way to do that is to use a monospaced font like Courier. 

Other than that, you'll need to develop a script that sets the baseline to zero, sets a left paragraph style, and creates a new text layer for each letter in a word.

A screenshot of what you are trying to do wold help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

parola.jpg

In the first row the example word must be made equidistant. In the second row, the current composition with the word created from each letter entered manually. 

I would prefer to use an Arial type font. Not even the Courier allows exact equidistant letters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just have to pick a true monotype font. Here's one that kind of looks like Arial that is in your Adobe Type Kit. This is what it looks like:

Screenshot_2020-05-16 21.59.58_PUuZWT.png

Except for the descenders in small letters like j and y, the font is a true monotype.  The basic Courier is a monospaced font. You'll have to deal with descenders in lower case letters to fit them in cubes but this took about 3 minutes to do with one rounded rectangle, two repeaters, some parenting to make it easy to move the combined graphic around, and a little finesse with the Character Pannel's Leading and Tracking controls. 

Screenshot_2020-05-16 22.25.40_Sdg0xb.png

Trying to do this with expressions and individual letters or a regular font would be a nightmare. There are a fair amount of monospaced fonts available and if all you need is capital letters your job is easy. You can even fix the descenders in g, j, and y by adjusting the baseline shift and possibly the scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the advice and I think I will use a monospace font.

This will constrain my stylistic choice, but I consider it an excellent compromise!

I don't know the expressions, but I wondered if it was not possible through a script to take a letter inside another comp, choosing (an expression for each composition-letter) from time to time a different letter of the whole word.

Eg:
comp-whole-word composed of text-layer: "ABCDEF ..."
comp-single1 an expression that picks up the first letter of the text-layer in the comp-whole-word
comp-single2 an expression that picks up the second letter of the text-layer in the comp-whole-word
comp-single3 an expression that picks up the third letter of the text-layer in the comp-whole-word
etc.

In the Final-comp I'm going to position each comp-singleX at will.
This way I'm free to choose any font.

I do not know if I have been clear or at least if it can be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines