• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error 86 :: 1 Could not open source file. Please check that file exists with correct permissions.

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to import .mov files to After Effects CC 2020, I get the following error: 

After Effects error: Could not open source file. Please check that file exists with correct permissions. (86 :: 1) 

This is then followed by:

After Effects error: file 'filename.mov' cannot be imported - this 'MooV' file is damaged or unsupported.

I am using After Effects 2020 v 17.1.3

My OS is: macOS Catalina v 10.15.6

My QuickTime version is: 10.5

I have seen windows users who don't have QuickTime installed run into similiar issues remedy it by downloading QuickTime. As I have QuickTime installed, this doesn't work. I have uninstalled and reinstalled QuickTime and AE, both to no avail. I also downgraded to the previous version of a AE which gave me the same error. Moving the files to the desktop, renaming them and moving them back to their original folder seemed to work for other people who have encountered this problem, but not for me. 

The files in question were exported from iMovie by another team member offsite, but I am still able to import and open other .mov files that were edited and exported iMovie too with the exact same codecs and specs as the ones causing me trouble when compared in Finder, so the issue doesn't seem applicable to all .mov files.

I have been looking for answers for 8 hours now and am incredibly frustrated. With deadlines looming a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jack.

TOPICS
Error or problem , FAQ , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catalina dropped support for several Quicktime formats. I would try adding the movie to the Adobe Media Encoder and rendering a Pro-rez version of the file. If AME does not work, and you can't get QuickTime Player to open the file, you may have to find a system with an earlier version of Quick Time on it and render the file to ProRez. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems like an insane work-around? I have to find a system that will run an earlier version of Quicktime just so I can edit my iPhone footage in 2022? All because I wanted a new iPhone. What's up, Adobe, why can't I import my Iphone clips?

What's the point of spending all this money on Adobe if it doesn't work and they never help in these message boards. Hello? Anyone out there to help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, I'm going to chime in and echo Angel - for Adobe to push updates every other day and continue to break our professional projects, reinstall all of our plugins every time, forcing us to manually change a variety of settings, log files, and presets with Adobe Support, just so AE can launch properly with the last couple updates, and now this last week it looks like (at least with Angel's and mine) Adobe is no longer supporting quicktime movie files from modern iPhones??
I have been late twice this week with client work because of these bugs and overnight changes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, and I've tried all the mentioned solutions. My mov file cannot be imported by Premiere, After Effects or Media Encoder, but it can open and play just fine in Quicktime and iMovie. I tried exporting them from both Quicktime and iMovie as new files, but that also didn't work. This is so confusing - what's going on!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I rendered a file to ProRes with Morph Age Pro - but After Effects wont' import. It opens and plays fine in Quicktime Player, and a saved copy will import in some cases, not all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just been having the exact same problem. The solution that I've used is converting the mov file to an mp4 using VLC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not really a solution - since it is downgrading material.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED!!

What you want to do is rename the file you want to link in Finder. Right click on the video file you want to reload in AfterEffects > Hover down to 'Replace Footage' > Click 'File...' > Select the renamed video file!

I am using Adobe AfterEffects 2023 on MacOS Monterey 12.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rohan! You saved me 🙂 Thank you so much! Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. What an odd issue, but thank you for taking the time to share the insight and help out others who are struggling with this issue. You're the real MVP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems that After Effects remembers which files it could not import before, and keeps refusing to import those, even when the files are okay again.

I encounter this when I rerender a clip in Cinema4d while the After Effects project containing that is open.

After Effects tries to import/update the clip that is being rendered, which logically fails, and then, in stead of marking it offline and try again later, it bans the file forever. Even closing and reopening the project, or clearing all caches does not solve this. Renaming is a workaround, but means a lot of chaos in the project.

I hope that one day After Effects wil be milder, and just keeps the file offline to try reloading it later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see you've found the solution but I'm just going to put this here in case anyone else has had a similar issue.
I had the same error but it was for a project with over 100 linked files. Very frustrating.
It was actually a project I inhereted from another designer who had created an extra folder in the (footage) folder between the assets and the project. It worked fine when I first used the file but when I came back to it months later all the footage gave me this error.
Moving the folder of assets up a layer, into the (footage) folder, and removing that extra layer between the project and the assets seemed to fix the problem.
You would have thought that simply replacing one piece of footage in the slightly buried folder would have set AE on the right track but it didn't. Seems like it really just wanted that old traditional file structure.
Hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines