Highlighted

Error 86 :: 1 Could not open source file. Please check that file exists with correct permissions.

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to import .mov files to After Effects CC 2020, I get the following error: 

After Effects error: Could not open source file. Please check that file exists with correct permissions. (86 :: 1) 

This is then followed by:

After Effects error: file 'filename.mov' cannot be imported - this 'MooV' file is damaged or unsupported.

I am using After Effects 2020 v 17.1.3

My OS is: macOS Catalina v 10.15.6

My QuickTime version is: 10.5

I have seen windows users who don't have QuickTime installed run into similiar issues remedy it by downloading QuickTime. As I have QuickTime installed, this doesn't work. I have uninstalled and reinstalled QuickTime and AE, both to no avail. I also downgraded to the previous version of a AE which gave me the same error. Moving the files to the desktop, renaming them and moving them back to their original folder seemed to work for other people who have encountered this problem, but not for me. 

The files in question were exported from iMovie by another team member offsite, but I am still able to import and open other .mov files that were edited and exported iMovie too with the exact same codecs and specs as the ones causing me trouble when compared in Finder, so the issue doesn't seem applicable to all .mov files.

I have been looking for answers for 8 hours now and am incredibly frustrated. With deadlines looming a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jack.

TOPICS
Error or problem, FAQ, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Error 86 :: 1 Could not open source file. Please check that file exists with correct permissions.

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to import .mov files to After Effects CC 2020, I get the following error: 

After Effects error: Could not open source file. Please check that file exists with correct permissions. (86 :: 1) 

This is then followed by:

After Effects error: file 'filename.mov' cannot be imported - this 'MooV' file is damaged or unsupported.

I am using After Effects 2020 v 17.1.3

My OS is: macOS Catalina v 10.15.6

My QuickTime version is: 10.5

I have seen windows users who don't have QuickTime installed run into similiar issues remedy it by downloading QuickTime. As I have QuickTime installed, this doesn't work. I have uninstalled and reinstalled QuickTime and AE, both to no avail. I also downgraded to the previous version of a AE which gave me the same error. Moving the files to the desktop, renaming them and moving them back to their original folder seemed to work for other people who have encountered this problem, but not for me. 

The files in question were exported from iMovie by another team member offsite, but I am still able to import and open other .mov files that were edited and exported iMovie too with the exact same codecs and specs as the ones causing me trouble when compared in Finder, so the issue doesn't seem applicable to all .mov files.

I have been looking for answers for 8 hours now and am incredibly frustrated. With deadlines looming a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jack.

TOPICS
Error or problem, FAQ, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catalina dropped support for several Quicktime formats. I would try adding the movie to the Adobe Media Encoder and rendering a Pro-rez version of the file. If AME does not work, and you can't get QuickTime Player to open the file, you may have to find a system with an earlier version of Quick Time on it and render the file to ProRez. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0