• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exported Video keeps rendering choppy.. how do I fix??

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to After Effects but have a general understanding of how to compose and export videos. I donot have a good understanding of proper settings for desired results in exporting. I have a simple project: A gradient background with shapes in the foreground that fade in and out. My comp is 1920x1080, I am set to 60fps and exporting to H.264 through Media Encoder. After I play the exported file, I see a bunch of banding and choppy fading happening with my shapes. File attached for reference. Please someone help me understand how to make these transitions softer and high quality. Thanks.

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very subtle gradients compressed and rendered to 8-bit video will show banding. That's is a limitation of the format. The only real fix is to add some noise or give your gradient more room by expanding the color range significantly. I did not see any other problems and I did not see any animation.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick already said it - this is a limitation of the format, not an AE setting, and you're shooting yourself in the foot by not actually having anything animated in there. Having variance in the hex tiles by them e.g. subtly fading on and off already would improve matters considerably. Otherwise only further changes to the design will take things to another level. You might want to read up what banding actually is and how MPEG-based compression further exacerbates the issue due to the inbuilt chroma undersampling.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines