Highlighted

Exporting dozen of scaled down HD videos taking extraordinary amounts of time

New Here ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm working on a video where I need to take dozens of HD videos, and export them as a grid of videos (fitting around 30 on the screen at a time). Exporting is taking an extraordinary amount of time and I haven't used any other taxing effects on it, like blurs or particles. What's the best approach when working with HD videos that are down scaled to 12-15%, to avoid this happening in the future? Would it be to process all the files as 240x135 to begin with? Precomp them in 240x135 compositions?...

Many thanks in advance!

I'm running the latest version of AE, on a Macbook Pro 2018 computer (16Gb Ram, 2.2GHz)

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Performance, Preview, Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Exporting dozen of scaled down HD videos taking extraordinary amounts of time

New Here ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm working on a video where I need to take dozens of HD videos, and export them as a grid of videos (fitting around 30 on the screen at a time). Exporting is taking an extraordinary amount of time and I haven't used any other taxing effects on it, like blurs or particles. What's the best approach when working with HD videos that are down scaled to 12-15%, to avoid this happening in the future? Would it be to process all the files as 240x135 to begin with? Precomp them in 240x135 compositions?...

Many thanks in advance!

I'm running the latest version of AE, on a Macbook Pro 2018 computer (16Gb Ram, 2.2GHz)

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Performance, Preview, Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would put all 30 clips in a Premiere Pro sequence, trim the clips so they are the same length and have the in and out points set to the proper place. Then I would adjust the sequence settings so the frame size is 240 X 136. Don't use 135 because compressed video cannot have an odd number anywhere in the frame size. Then you can select all 30 of the clips and fit them to the sequence size with one click. Then render the sequence using just about any of the presets but retain the size. Premiere Pro will render something like this in far less time than AE ever will. Premiere Pro also does a really good job scaling the video and you should be able to clearly see if any of the shots need a little blur to fix moray patterns right inside Premiere in real-time.

When you have rendered the video, import it into AE and Split the layer every time there is a cut and arrange your grid in from the trimmed footage.  I never batch render clips in After Effects unless there is no other option.

If you don't have Premiere Pro, drop all the original footage in the Media Encoder and set up a new preset. It will still be a lot faster than going through After Effects.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 25, 2020 0