Highlighted

Expressions stop working after pre-compose

New Here ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had several layers with properties pickwhipped to another layer's properties in a precomp. Now I had to pre-comp that layer again and all the expressions went haywire:

scrnsht.jpg

I tried to change the first one to the new precomp's name but the error persists. Is it because this pre-comp is inside another pre-comp? If so what do I need to change this expression to?

The layer the expression is looking is in a pre-comp "scene_1_wiggle" which is inside the pre-comp "Scene1". Sorry if this is a very dumb question, I am very new to expressions.

TOPICS
Error or problem, Expressions, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Expressions stop working after pre-compose

New Here ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had several layers with properties pickwhipped to another layer's properties in a precomp. Now I had to pre-comp that layer again and all the expressions went haywire:

scrnsht.jpg

I tried to change the first one to the new precomp's name but the error persists. Is it because this pre-comp is inside another pre-comp? If so what do I need to change this expression to?

The layer the expression is looking is in a pre-comp "scene_1_wiggle" which is inside the pre-comp "Scene1". Sorry if this is a very dumb question, I am very new to expressions.

TOPICS
Error or problem, Expressions, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 01, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your cropped screenshot tells us nothing at all about the layer names or your comp structure. A flow chart would also help. If the expression stopped working then something got moved without moving all properties.

For example:

comp("Comp that has the property").layer("Layer we want to look at").mask("Mask 1").maskPath

Will work no matter where the comp with the expression is in the hierarchy as long as the Comp that has the property has a Layer we want to look at and that layer has a mask named Mask 1 that has a mask path.

Check your flow chart and check for the right path.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mistake - the screenshot was to show the error but for some reason it didn't pick it up and I didn't notice 🙂 fixed it now. I definitely think it is something to do with that second pre-comp, because it came after the expressions were already put in place, and that's when everything went weird.  But it won't accept it when I put the correct pre-comp name in the expressions instead either. I will look into the flowchart and get back to you if I can't figure it out myself. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 0