Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extending a timeline duration AT THE START of composition

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys.

Does anyone knows how to Extend a timeline duration of composition AT THE START ??

Basically BEFORE the start of the timeline.

anybody ??

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such functionality. You have to actually shift the layers to a later point in time, with the help of specific scripts if necessary.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.. . they didn't think of makin it ???
Probably THE most important timeline option of them all ?????????
wooow..

Ok, thank you very much !!!))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, one of those old things where AE can't deal with negative time offsets even if they would be temporary. Perhaps they'll implement it one of these days...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using After Effects since 1994 and I can't think of a single time that I needed to add time in front of a comp. I've shifted a lot of layer positions, but it never occurred to me to add a few seconds to something that I already started. Maybe it is because I never use After Effects to edit a movie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick_Gerard 

Imagine you have your perfect compositions, that have layers effects on one another and can not be put inside precomp, since they'll lose the "effect".

And now, all of a sudden, you have to add another scene at the start, that fades into the current.
It also needs to have effects)

Add to it an unexpected FPS change request from client from 25 to 30 or vise versa - boom !
All the keyframes gone wild on the cut-border between scenes)) And of course- everywhere else ))

There you go)  Can't handle anything like it without moving all the layers and spend a few days on fixing the mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keyframes are based on time, not frames so if you have a keyframe at 1.275 seconds and you change the frame rate from 10fps to 120, the keyframe will still happen at 1.275 seconds. 

Almost all my comps are one shot, I don't use AE to edit. Never have. Don't expect to start. I've never seen an effect that goes away when you pre-compose if you need to pre-compose, it's all a matter of workflow. 

If I have 100 layers in a comp and 50 of them are nested comps and I want to move everything forward 2 seconds I can select all 100 layers using Ctrl/Cmnd + a, move the CTI forward 2 seconds, hold down the shift key, pick any layer that had the in point starting at 0, and shift + drag to 2 seconds and nothing will go out of sync. Not one thing. 

Not saying that adding time at the head of a timeline might not save some users some time, but you can't add time at the head of a sequence in Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, Avid, Davinci, or any other NLE I have ever used or heard of. You can't even do it with linear tape editors. All you can do in any NLE is grab everything in the timeline and drag it forward. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The situation I find myself in is that I have a lot of flying videos of talking heads.

The client wants talking head number one to talk longer.

So all my other talking heads have to start flying later...so I'd like to be able to add however much time to the head of each of them so all their key frames when they start flying don't need to be moved.

Am I misunderstanding your workflow?  Because what I'd like is to be able to only move the keyframes of my talking heads pre-flight earlier by however extra long talking head number one is talking?

The workaround I am imagining/about to try is pre-composing my flying heads and then duplicating it, then having the pre-flight section on one of them start earlier...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE gives you the option to set the working area to a layer, and then set the composition to the working area. This 'crops' the timeline at the beginning and end (assuming your working area was somewhere in the middle). What if you want to go back? You can regain the timeline at the end but not at the beginning. Seems a pretty obvious functionality to me, and I've only been using AE since 1995 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines