Highlighted

File size once rendered is larger than the original footage.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A client sent me a film that needed to be trimmed down 5+ minutes (50 minutes total length)

I also added a 5-second intro with the company logo as well as a 15-second outro with some legal copy.

The file size of the original 50-minute clip they provided is 500mb.

I trimmed 5 minutes from the clip and re-rendered using Media encoder (H.264) and my file size is 3GB...

even when I lower my bitrate to 4 It's 1.4GB

I'm way over the size limit for the platform it's intended for.

What's creating the increase in file size and how do I reduce it?

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

File size once rendered is larger than the original footage.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A client sent me a film that needed to be trimmed down 5+ minutes (50 minutes total length)

I also added a 5-second intro with the company logo as well as a 15-second outro with some legal copy.

The file size of the original 50-minute clip they provided is 500mb.

I trimmed 5 minutes from the clip and re-rendered using Media encoder (H.264) and my file size is 3GB...

even when I lower my bitrate to 4 It's 1.4GB

I'm way over the size limit for the platform it's intended for.

What's creating the increase in file size and how do I reduce it?

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 22, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, to be straight: You and your client have unrealistic expectations. The file sizes sound perfectly normal for a 50 minute film. The only reason the source file was smaller quite likely boils down to it being AVCHD or a H.264 file with variuable bit rates and framerates, none of which is relevant for professional work nor can it be generated efficiently directly from AE due to how the program works in general. The best you can hope for is to produce an intermediate file and then mangle that through AME, hoping that the analysis will yield better results, but again - as far as I'm concerned there are some fundamental misunderstandings at work here.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reiterate, The client already has already exported the video, it's a screen recording of a CEO talking via Zoom. It's a 500mb file, the quality of the original clip has nothing to do with me, even if I export it at 3GB the quality will •not• improve.

The bitrate and framerate set in the original clip are impossible to change on my end, apart from making it lower.

If I send it back shorter than the clip they originally sent, with an additional 2.5GB in file weight and (obviously) it physically cannot be better than the original as that wouldn't be possible, then how do I explain that I have increased file size X5? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still really don't understand this and I keep coming up against it in work, do you have any idea what is causing the bloating?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2020 0