Highlighted

Filling a mask tracked onto footage

New Here ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, apologies if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find the answer anywhere. I'm relatively new to After Effects.

I've tracked a mask over Spain on footage of a world map. The mask moves with Spain as the footage moves. I want to fill the mask with Spain's flag and have it stay stationary within the mask as the footage moves on. I've tried various suggestions from other forum posts but none seemed to work.

Does anyone have a solution?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

If you want to track movement in the shot you need to do motion tracking. If you tracked the mask then you can use the Create Nulls from Paths script file (under the window menu) to have nulls follow the path, then parent another layer to one or more of the nulls. 

To get a map to be inside the mask you either need to put the flag below the map layer and use set the mask to subtract to see through the mask or copy the mask and paste it to the flag layer or duplicate the map layer, set the mask to ADD and use it as a track matte for the Flag layer. 

These are all really basic workflow techniques. I strongly suggest that you spend some time with the Beginner section of the User Guide

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Filling a mask tracked onto footage

New Here ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, apologies if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find the answer anywhere. I'm relatively new to After Effects.

I've tracked a mask over Spain on footage of a world map. The mask moves with Spain as the footage moves. I want to fill the mask with Spain's flag and have it stay stationary within the mask as the footage moves on. I've tried various suggestions from other forum posts but none seemed to work.

Does anyone have a solution?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

If you want to track movement in the shot you need to do motion tracking. If you tracked the mask then you can use the Create Nulls from Paths script file (under the window menu) to have nulls follow the path, then parent another layer to one or more of the nulls. 

To get a map to be inside the mask you either need to put the flag below the map layer and use set the mask to subtract to see through the mask or copy the mask and paste it to the flag layer or duplicate the map layer, set the mask to ADD and use it as a track matte for the Flag layer. 

These are all really basic workflow techniques. I strongly suggest that you spend some time with the Beginner section of the User Guide

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A closed mask should only show what is inside of the mask unless the mask’s modes have been changed.

You may want to have two layers doing the same thing in your timeline, mask the top layer, select the top layer and while holding down alt or option drag the flag from the project panel on top of the masked layer and release your mouse. This should swap out the interior of your mask with the flag.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2020 0
16BrownW LATEST
New Here ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That works perfectly. I'll take a look at the Beginner's Section, thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2020 0