• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font Styles Missing in AE CC 15.0.0

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having trouble with one of our brand fonts, Raleway, since upgrading to AE 15.0.0. I'm running Windows 7 and the font is installed in the usual font folder, the family complete with all font styles - bold, extra bold, thin, regular etc.The problem I'm having is that AE will now only show Raleway Thin in the style drop down. I've never had a problem with previous versions of AE, but looking at the fonts installed, Raleway Thin is the only style that is .otf and all the others are ttf. I haven't a clue why, I've had these fonts for installed for many years so don't remember why this is the case. I've checked a few other ttf fonts installed and AE is displaying them in the font list. It seems to be a very specific issue.

Only AE is doing this, Illustrator and Photoshop are displaying the whole font family.

I then tried to use Typekit, something I haven't even switched on before as I never needed it. I added the Raleway font family and synced it. However, the sync failed as the Creative Cloud App popped up with the error "A font with the same name is already installed". I can't uninstall Raleway from my PC as I use other applications outside of Adobe for my work.

I rolled back AE to the previous version for now but it's not a long term fix.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm really stuck and would appreciate any advice please. TIA 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

If you uninstall the Raleway Thin OpenType font, do the other font styles for Raleway appear in After Effects?

After reading your post, I looked up Raleway in our internal databases. There I found evidence of the OpenType version of Raleway being a problematic font. Specifically, the font ID codes for the different OpenType Raleway font faces are set to be identical, which violates the OpenType standards. (They should be different, but apparently the font developer was trying to work around a dif

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you are filtering favorites?

The new character panel has a "favorite" filter (a star).

If it is blue then it's active and only fonts designated as favs will display.

Maybe that's way?

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for pointing that out. I've checked it but it's unfiltered so can't be the issue. Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the text panel options. Using ligatures and other OpenType-only features may hide fonts that don't support this stuff.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. Ligatures was checked so I have unchecked it. I restarted my PC for good measure but no luck, it's still only showing Raleway Thin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you uninstall the Raleway Thin OpenType font, do the other font styles for Raleway appear in After Effects?

After reading your post, I looked up Raleway in our internal databases. There I found evidence of the OpenType version of Raleway being a problematic font. Specifically, the font ID codes for the different OpenType Raleway font faces are set to be identical, which violates the OpenType standards. (They should be different, but apparently the font developer was trying to work around a different limitation in the OpenType standard.) Some applications may not be affected by bad font ID codes, but that's not the intended design; your single OpenType version of Raleway Thin is likely confusing After Effects into thinking that it's the only font face available for Raleway.

Using the TrueType version of Raleway is preferable.

> I can't uninstall Raleway from my PC as I use other applications outside of Adobe for my work.

You can use Typekit fonts with non-Adobe applications. This should happen automatically, though the applications must load fonts from the operating system's default font folders.

If the application you want to use does not see Typekit's Truetype version of Raleway, could you perhaps get the TrueType version of Raleway Thin from your other font vendor? Or perhaps use only the OpenType version (which I wouldn't guarantee to work correctly; however not mixing a single OpenType font face with the TrueType faces of the same font is better than the situation you're currently in).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Tim, removing the Raleway Thin OpenType font did the job! AE is now showing the whole font family. Thanks so much for the help on the font issue, and the advice on using Typekit fonts with non-Adobe applications, I'll give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines