• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame blending efx without changing speed

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2015 Nov 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for a script or plugin that would remove 2 out of every 3 frames (4 out of 5; 5 out of 6....)

and wile keeping clip duration the same would fill the gaps by interpolating between reaming frames.

Ideally it would be a smart frame blending but i would settle for straight mix.

The result would look exactly the same as if you time-stretch the clip by (let's say)  25% and then after rendering and re-importing would stretch it back to fit original length (400%) with frame blending on.

But without prerendering and re-importing.

Now, i'm fairly certain that no standard remapping tools in AE as well as effects under "time" category could achieve that.

Seem like a simple task. But i can't think of good keywords to use to look for it.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Nov 22, 2015 Nov 22, 2015

Yes I know. Timestretch to 25% in one comp, drag into next, apply TimeWarp effect, set to 25% speed and Frame Mix. No intermediate render needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the following works:

1. precompose the layer
  2. choose for the precomp the frame rate you want to have (say 5fps for 25fps footage if you want to delete 4 frames every 5 frames).
  3. set for the precomp the option "Preserve Frame Rate When Nested"

Now you can choose the kind of interpolation you want to have in the layer:

after-effects-frame-blend.png

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mathias Moehl, Have you ever tried it ?

For some reason AE frame blending can only interpolate between original frames of the footage ( hence frame-blending checkbox is only available next to original footage layer but not next to nested layer)

Like I said in my post - i'm fairly certain there is no solution inside of standard AE functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2015 Nov 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, never tried, that's why I said "maybe". 🙂

If you are fairly certain that there is no standard solution without rendering intermediate files I am fairly certain that there is also no scripting-based solution that avoids rendering intermediate files (since scripting is all about automating stuff that you could in principle also do manually). So you can focus your search to plugins.

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the last step when you stretch it back out with Timewarp instead, using the Frame Mix method. I just tried that and it works. The Speed value in Timewarp is reversed so you put in exactly the same percentage as the first timestretch precomp.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul Tuersley : the idea is to find a way to avoid intermediate render all together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I know. Timestretch to 25% in one comp, drag into next, apply TimeWarp effect, set to 25% speed and Frame Mix. No intermediate render needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YES! I got it now. And it works.

It's actually works even without nesting

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines