Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame Rate and Duration Changing During Render

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Backstory:

I'm working on a "quarantine music video" right now and each band member sent me a video of them performing their part in front of a green screen. These videos don't all have the same framerate, but they're all basically either 29.97 or 30 (some saying 29.972 or 29.973). I put them into a Resolve timeline to build the initial edit and now want to use After Effects to key out the green screens so I can add background footage and other goofy stuff. My plan was to render out a new sequence from AE and then relink the original video in Resolve to the new footage.

Issue:

When I go to render out from AE the length of the clip does not match the length of the initial video. I'm importing each video directly, and creating a comp using the exact length and framerate of the source video each time. But when I render it and drop it back into Resolve to compare to the original, they're different lengths. I'm not sure if this is a Resolve or AE issue but I cannot for the life of me figure out why this is happening. 

I've looked at my Import preferences and made sure that at every stage it has the same frame rate, but at athe end it's off by 4 to 12 frames depending on the length of the video.

I know there are workarounds, but all of them would greatly increase the amount of labor needed. If I could just render out each video with the properly keyed green screen and replace them directly in Resolve it would be a huge help.

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an issue with NTSC-based fractional timecodes getting messed up. You may need to manually override these things or conform to full 30 FPS until it gets fixed.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your reply. I tried changing the import preferences to 30fps, then creating a comp in 30fps, then making sure the render settings were 30fps, but the length still doesn't match what I'm seeing in Resolve.

I think now that the issue is in Resolve though. I made the (pretty obvious) connection that my video files were orginally in 29.97 but Resolve is viewing them in 30 and changing the lengths based on that. Unfortunately this just means the issue seems even stranger now. Even when I open a new Resolve project in 29.97 and go to the media storage sidebar, it still says the videos are 30fps. If you (or anyone else) has some Resolve skills handy too, I'd greatly appreciate any help. I posted in the Black Magic forum as well though.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines