Highlighted

Giving the impression that the imagd is being drawn

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am currently working on the introduction of my video, and I would like the screen to start off as White, and then the images of my footage appearing by lines, as if there were being drawn.

Do you know how I can do that?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Giving the impression that the imagd is being drawn

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am currently working on the introduction of my video, and I would like the screen to start off as White, and then the images of my footage appearing by lines, as if there were being drawn.

Do you know how I can do that?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Engaged ,
Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do something like this with some Whiteboard Animation software, eg. Easy Sketch Pro 3 allows you to "Sketch to video" where it 'draws' (either with or without a hand) the first frame of a video and then dissolves to show the rest of the video (though only really for short videos and doesn't give control over what in-point to use).

For After Effects you could get a similar look by using the "Black and White" effect and the "Find Edges" effect (adding both) - other effects like CC Threshold & Box Blur might also help. Though if you want it being drawn you'd have to use some reveals by using masks or painting transparency - you'd have to separate the footage to individual frames you want drawn or slow down the footage if you want the different frames to be drawn in this way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know if there is and video tutorial available?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sorry, I don't know of a tutorial without searching but you could try searching on youtube.

The whiteboard software method will be the easiest as it does it automatically (for 1 frame of a video).

If you want to do it for many different frames in AE you could create a re-useable mask/video that you could use to do the reveal for every video frame you wanted to use it for - basically use something like the eraser tool to to quickly reveal the whole frame (as if by quickly drawing the frame from top to bottom of the screen) and use that to reveal the footage/frames you've added the above filters to ("Black and White", "Find Edges, maybe CC Threshold/blur). That would be a bit like some of the whiteboard software, that unlike ESP3, don't give a very specific "drawing" of the image/video (some just do a diagonal type "sketch" reveal - the same for every image being drawn), but it would be a re-usable method so should be easier/faster to do with many frames/images.

In theory, if you know some programming, it shouldn't be that difficult to do something like this with programming either, for the "reveal" (drawing), where you could use the frames already with the "Find Edges" etc. effects added. Basically start with a white image, maybe start at the top left of the screen, keep moving a simulated "pencil" (or where the pencil would be - just X & Y coordinates) to the places in the source image that have low RGB values (eg. black) - especially where there are many of them, and add those to your "white" frame image, creating a new saved frame of this "white" frame being built up into the video frame (eg. that has the "Find Edges" etc. effect applied). Or something like that, but changed so it does the whole reveal in a specified number of frames/duration.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of footage are you using in this project?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if it's of any use now, but here's a video that might be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1D7Y-NqslA

Learn to use After Effects to create the effect of sketching images onto the screen. Created from your video or other images, the sketch can then animate as ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines