Highlighted

Gradient Controller Problem: Shapes "growing" in a skewed way?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I'm relatively new to After Effects still and came across a problem that I think has a simple solution but I'm a bit stumped. I was following this tutorial linked here starting @~11:00 minutes in, https://youtu.be/1UaZNcVobhg?t=664 , and when I turned on the gradient ramp fx for my circles, they size up in a distorted/skewed way (not growing from the center anchor point as they should be) as seen below:

circles "grow" skewed to a side despite the centers originally being centered. The gradient's start and end of the ramps are directly centered at the top and at the bottom of the composition respectively.circles "grow" skewed to a side despite the centers originally being centered. The gradient's start and end of the ramps are directly centered at the top and at the bottom of the composition respectively.

Before the gradient ramp is turned on, The anchor points are all centered for every circle visible here: 

circles centered.PNGcentered anchors.PNG

Any advice anyone's willing to share? I'd greatly appreciate it!

For reference I'm using the Ae 2020 version.

In this After Effects motion graphic tutorial we are going to be taking a look at how to do get a radial scaling effect in after effects using a Gradient Con...

Hi Rick_Gerard,

I appreciate the help! After digging deep enough into the properties of the circle shape layer, I finally realized it was the anchor point under the ellipse's transform property that somehow got unaligned (quite obvious, I should've looked there first now that I think about it). I manually moved the anchor points and zeroed them all out in each layer to fix the problem. When I turned on the gradient ramp again, it worked like a charm. No more skewed circles as they scale up. 

FIXEDCIRCLES.PNG

Topics

Error or problem, Expressions, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Gradient Controller Problem: Shapes "growing" in a skewed way?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I'm relatively new to After Effects still and came across a problem that I think has a simple solution but I'm a bit stumped. I was following this tutorial linked here starting @~11:00 minutes in, https://youtu.be/1UaZNcVobhg?t=664 , and when I turned on the gradient ramp fx for my circles, they size up in a distorted/skewed way (not growing from the center anchor point as they should be) as seen below:

circles "grow" skewed to a side despite the centers originally being centered. The gradient's start and end of the ramps are directly centered at the top and at the bottom of the composition respectively.circles "grow" skewed to a side despite the centers originally being centered. The gradient's start and end of the ramps are directly centered at the top and at the bottom of the composition respectively.

Before the gradient ramp is turned on, The anchor points are all centered for every circle visible here: 

circles centered.PNGcentered anchors.PNG

Any advice anyone's willing to share? I'd greatly appreciate it!

For reference I'm using the Ae 2020 version.

In this After Effects motion graphic tutorial we are going to be taking a look at how to do get a radial scaling effect in after effects using a Gradient Con...

Hi Rick_Gerard,

I appreciate the help! After digging deep enough into the properties of the circle shape layer, I finally realized it was the anchor point under the ellipse's transform property that somehow got unaligned (quite obvious, I should've looked there first now that I think about it). I manually moved the anchor points and zeroed them all out in each layer to fix the problem. When I turned on the gradient ramp again, it worked like a charm. No more skewed circles as they scale up. 

FIXEDCIRCLES.PNG

Topics

Error or problem, Expressions, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by actually viewing your work at 100% zoom. This could be merely a precision issue in the preview. The rest could boil down to your shapes not being properly aligned within their transform group. A misplaced scale origin (=group anchor) would of course cause the artwork to scale more on one side than the other, resulting in a skewed appearance).

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comment Mylenium!

Could you advise me on how to properly align align them then? Each dot is in it's own layer but as according to the tutorial, they're being sized by a group controller linked to their elipse size property. Not directly affected by the scale property.  

I zoomed in at 100% but the problem remains. I also selected every dot layer at once and tried Layer Menu/Transform/Center Anchor Point again but only got this result. It "centered" all the anchor points to the right of the dots...

center points.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the shape layer is already in position but you need to center up the Anchor Point on the shape you first select the Anchor Point tool (y), turn Snapping on in the toolbar, then select the layer in the timeline, then grab the Anchor Point with the Anchor Point (pan behind) tool and drag it to the center of the Ellipse. 

If you have created some shape layers but have not yet positioned them, Select one of the shape layers, press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties, then reset the Ellipse >Transform Position and Anchor Point settings. The Anchor point of the layer will now match the anchor point of the ellipse and they should not move when scaled. You should do this when you are creating the shape layers if you intend to adjust the position later or have already created the shape layer and have not positioned it.

Screenshot_2020-04-15 19.01.14_mYSztt.png

If you have not yet created the shape layer you can open the After Effects Preferences>General panel and turn on Center Anchor Point in New Shape Layer to automatically center the anchor point in the first shape you draw on a new shape layer.

Screenshot_2020-04-15 19.07.55_8PAhh3.png

All of these techniques are explained in the User Guide and some or most of them are demonstrated in the User Guide Tutorials.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick_Gerard,

FIXEDCIRCLES.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines