Highlighted

Green geometric visual errors on rendered movie

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy folks,

I recently bought a Sony A7Siii and have been shooting some performance videos with it.  The footage looks marvelous, but working with it has been absolute chaos when the time comes to render.  In ram-preview everything looks perfect but when I render it, inevitably there are at least two or three frames (sometimes MANY more) where the image disappears and is replaced with odd black and green blocks. As well, I will get one or two frames with lines through them.  These are all 4K images, shot in XAVC HS 4:2:2 10bit.  The AfterEffects color settings are set to 16 bit per channel. I'm in version 17.5.0, running on a 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro with a 2.4 Ghz 8-Core i9 Processor and 64 GB of memory.  It has an AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB graphics card and Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB card.  I have a second monitor set up through a Glyph lighningbolt hub, and am running sound through a UAD Apollo x8.  Sometimes I hear little bits of wierdness in the sound, but it never shows up in the render.  I am truly at my wits end.  As I'm doing multipanel work, I am putting several 4K images on the screen simulttaneously, all of which precomposed with many layers of masked levels and color adjustments.  I wondered if maybe I am giving my computer too much to chew on so I rendered one of the pre-comps as Apple Pro-res 422, assuming this would be an easier format for AfterEffects to process.  As well, when I am trying to import a folder with many 4K movies, at least 3 times it has caused a kernal panic and automatic restart.   Any expert advice would be much appreciated!  Thank you all for your time!

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Green geometric visual errors on rendered movie

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy folks,

I recently bought a Sony A7Siii and have been shooting some performance videos with it.  The footage looks marvelous, but working with it has been absolute chaos when the time comes to render.  In ram-preview everything looks perfect but when I render it, inevitably there are at least two or three frames (sometimes MANY more) where the image disappears and is replaced with odd black and green blocks. As well, I will get one or two frames with lines through them.  These are all 4K images, shot in XAVC HS 4:2:2 10bit.  The AfterEffects color settings are set to 16 bit per channel. I'm in version 17.5.0, running on a 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro with a 2.4 Ghz 8-Core i9 Processor and 64 GB of memory.  It has an AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB graphics card and Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB card.  I have a second monitor set up through a Glyph lighningbolt hub, and am running sound through a UAD Apollo x8.  Sometimes I hear little bits of wierdness in the sound, but it never shows up in the render.  I am truly at my wits end.  As I'm doing multipanel work, I am putting several 4K images on the screen simulttaneously, all of which precomposed with many layers of masked levels and color adjustments.  I wondered if maybe I am giving my computer too much to chew on so I rendered one of the pre-comps as Apple Pro-res 422, assuming this would be an easier format for AfterEffects to process.  As well, when I am trying to import a folder with many 4K movies, at least 3 times it has caused a kernal panic and automatic restart.   Any expert advice would be much appreciated!  Thank you all for your time!

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 13, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I wanted to add that the format of the master is actually 1920x1080, so the 4K is being resized.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are probably running into decompression errors. If you are doing a bunch of this work and the footage is all scaled way down I would render some DI's (digital intermediates) using a lossless format like Cineform that are closer to the final size the videos will be in the final render. You won't lose any quality, AE will run faster, and your renders will be a lot less likely to have artifacts.  To be efficient all of your assets should be at or near 100% scale or effective scale if the layers are 3D at some point in the composition. If the assets never get above 50% scale then you are wasting resources and increasing render time without gaining any quality.

One more thing. Please embed your screenshots using the toolbar. It's a pain in the neck to download them, especially on mobile devices.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Rick! I really appreciate the advice.  I frequently move between 50% and 100% so will precomp the movie file with the adjustment layers and render as you suggested.  I'm so happy to know it's something that is expected and can be managed.   I suppose I just need to learn the new workflow and things will move along swimmingly.  

sorry about uploading the images to the wrong place.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0