• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hard drive full after turning off enable disk cache in after effects

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I opened After Effects, I kept getting a popup saying that I didn't have enough space in my disk cache, so I turned off enable disk cache and now my entire hard drive is full. Where were all of the extra files saved to and how do I delete them?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you try to delete disk cache? You click Empty Disk Cache button in Preferences (Edit menu > Preferences). If you have another SSD, you assign it as a disk cache.

diskcache.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already tried that, but it hardly cleared up any space. I also emptied the media cache folders, but my hard drive is still full. If you uncheck the enable disk cache box, does it save the files somewhere else? If so, where are they?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, AE will create a cache folder; 10GB in size even if you set it to zero in AE's prefs. I can't recall where this default folder is and I'm tired and sleepy. However, drop this search task "adobe after effects default cache folder" into google and you should get your answer. HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed the problem. It turns out my hard drive wasn't full from the media cache, it was full from a bunch of  10+ gigabyte avi files I was using for a YouTube video. Is there some way to reduce the file size without sacrificing video quality? I'm asking because when I combined the avi files in Premiere Pro and rendered the video to an mpeg file, it was barely 100 megabytes even though the avi files were at least 10 gigabytes each.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can convert your AVI files to a Quicktime formatted file. Quicktime has more options for production-quality CODECs. Production-quality files are necessarily of a high quality while having sufficient and efficient compression qualities. They are also commonly called mezzanine or intermediate CODECs/files.

The Quicktime container/file format using DNxHD or Apple ProRes CODECs are popular choices as mezzanine workflow formats.

I suggest you convert a small number of these AVIs into the suggested mezzanine Quicktime CODECs - see if they provide appreciable storage space efficiencies that suit your needs.

You will also want to look at external storage for these AVIs as another option. HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines