Highlighted

Help animating double sided, folding pamphlet

New Here ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have been given the front and back cover, as well as the inside pages, of a pamphlet that I need to animate folding closed. I  put the inside and the outside into a composition and made them 3D layers so I could rotate 360 degrees around and see both sides. I then divded the composition into one comp for the front page and one comp for the back page so that I could fold it along the central crease.

I then brought both comps (pages) into a new composition, but when I try to rotate each page, I no longer see the other side. Is there a way to maintain the 3D elements of a composition once it is pre-comped? Or perhaps a better way to do this kind of thing?

Hoping that description made sense! Any assistance would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

The workflow is a little convoluted.

The proper setup is to set the anchor point for the pages you want to turn on their appropriate edge. The next step is to line up the anchor points of the front and back page. Step 3 is to make both layers 3D, offset the back page 1 pixel in Z, rotate the back page 180º, then parent the front and back page together. Now when you rotate the front page the back page follows and is perfectly lined up.

If you want to get even fancier Dan Ebberts has a simple expression that will turn off the visibility of any page that is not facing the camera. This extra step eliminates the possibility of interference between front and back pages. Here's a link. Invisible-facing-away. This is one of my most used animation presets.

This is what the workflow looks like:

Screenshot_2020-05-08 16.39.18_kXxRbx.pngPageTurn.gif

If you want to stick with the Pre-comp idea the workflow gets pretty complicated pretty quickly. Collapsing transformations won't do it. You will need to set the layers up as I indicated then add an Expression Control Rotation effect to the main comp, tie that to the pre-comp and then rotate the pages from the main comp or do the page turns in the Pre-comp.  Here's a project file for you to play with: Open Book.aep

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Help animating double sided, folding pamphlet

New Here ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have been given the front and back cover, as well as the inside pages, of a pamphlet that I need to animate folding closed. I  put the inside and the outside into a composition and made them 3D layers so I could rotate 360 degrees around and see both sides. I then divded the composition into one comp for the front page and one comp for the back page so that I could fold it along the central crease.

I then brought both comps (pages) into a new composition, but when I try to rotate each page, I no longer see the other side. Is there a way to maintain the 3D elements of a composition once it is pre-comped? Or perhaps a better way to do this kind of thing?

Hoping that description made sense! Any assistance would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

The proper setup is to set the anchor point for the pages you want to turn on their appropriate edge. The next step is to line up the anchor points of the front and back page. Step 3 is to make both layers 3D, offset the back page 1 pixel in Z, rotate the back page 180º, then parent the front and back page together. Now when you rotate the front page the back page follows and is perfectly lined up.

If you want to get even fancier Dan Ebberts has a simple expression that will turn off the visibility of any page that is not facing the camera. This extra step eliminates the possibility of interference between front and back pages. Here's a link. Invisible-facing-away. This is one of my most used animation presets.

If you want to stick with the Pre-comp idea the workflow gets pretty complicated pretty quickly. Collapsing transformations won't do it. You will need to set the layers up as I indicated then add an Expression Control Rotation effect to the main comp, tie that to the pre-comp and then rotate the pages from the main comp or do the page turns in the Pre-comp.  Here's a project file for you to play with: Open Book.aep

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2020 1
New Here ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Much appreciated. Still getting used to the ins and outs of After Effects, and often end up making things more difficult for myself.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0