Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help convert MOV to MP4

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying to convert my mov file to mp4. The problem started last night and I have tried converting it for more than 20 times already. I was able to do this before but now I can't anymore. On H.264, I have tried changing the format into quicktime and the multiplexer to mp4. It still hasn't worked. Please help.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give us some technical details.

A failing conversion can have so many reasons...

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the Adobe Media Encoder and add your file to the Queue.

If you intend to use the converted file in After Effects or Premiere Pro as a source file I would strongly recommend NOT using H.264 as the format. Instead, go to the Presets and Choose a suitable mezzanine format for your DI (digital intermediate).

Screenshot_2020-08-17 02.31.35_3mklOJ.png

I have a lot of stock footage that will not preview, open in Quicktime, or show thumbnails in Finder. All of that footage will convert to usable formats and alpha channels can be preserved.

Screenshot_2020-08-17 03.01.46_YJgaZ5.png

Picking the right preset is critical when you do the conversion. Almost all of the formats and presets available in Media Encoder and other video compressors do not support Alpha Channels (transparency) so it is critical that you choose the right format and preset.

Screenshot_2020-08-17 03.04.31_Cgi1my.png

There are also a lot of options for rendering to DNxHR/HD  (Avid) file formats. 

Screenshot_2020-08-17 02.39.09_EgQZPj.png

If you intend to upload the file to YouTube, Vimeo, or share it for others to view, choose H.264 as the Format in the first column, then select an appropriate H.264 preset

After you have chosen a format and preset, click on the selected preset to open up the Export Settings to make sure the file will render. If you see nothing in the Encoding Settings Panel then your MOV file is damaged or it is not a supported format. If you do not have a clear understanding of video standards, formats, and compression, don't mess with the presets. It is very easy to foul things up.

Screenshot_2020-08-17 02.25.20_NmP15s.png

There is no need to open After Effects or Premiere Pro to convert files to a usable format.

If the file will not open and preview in the Media Encoder then try opening the file with Quicktime. If Quicktime will open the file you can convert it to a usable format. Alpha channels may or may not be preserved. It depends on the original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fastest way is to open .mov file in photoshop and than go to File / Redner / Export video.
Media encoder fails me everytime when trying to convert *.mov to *.mp4 (H.264)- it converts only part of *.mov file and than movement stop - but the lenght of mp4 video is like it should be. Which is frustrating becouse I use Adobe software (AE) to create animation (.mov) and than I have to convert it in another software (Me), but it doesen't work. So back to old good Photoshop 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines