Highlighted

help urgent: After Effects can’t continue: unexpected failure during application startup

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, really need help on this! After Effects 2020 was working this morning and then I rebooted. Now everytime I open the program, I get errors. I'm on Mac Laptop running Catalina

"After Effects warning: Unknown Exception."

and after that:

"After Effects can’t continue: unexpected failure during application startup"

I've uninstalled 2 times, also removed media encoder too. What else can I do??

Topics

Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

help urgent: After Effects can’t continue: unexpected failure during application startup

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, really need help on this! After Effects 2020 was working this morning and then I rebooted. Now everytime I open the program, I get errors. I'm on Mac Laptop running Catalina

"After Effects warning: Unknown Exception."

and after that:

"After Effects can’t continue: unexpected failure during application startup"

I've uninstalled 2 times, also removed media encoder too. What else can I do??

Topics

Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whats strange is I installed CC 2019 from older versions and it opens fine. 2020 just stopped working and I renstalled many times.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I see that you are not able to launch After Effects 2020.

Could you share your system specifications (CPU, GPU, RAM, OS)? Are you using any third-party plug-ins? If yes, what happens if you remove them temporarily and launch After Effects?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Nishu

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu, 

I get the first error message too ("After Effects warning: Unknown Exception.") when I try to open Ae. The error message appears before the loading screen which never is visual. I don't get the second error message that timg39794634 mentions. 

My system specs are:

- Windows 10 (10.0.18363 Build 18363

- CPU: i9-9900k, 3.6 ghz 8 core

- GPU: Rog Strix z390-e gaming

- RAM: 64 gb

I have tried the following, in this order: 

1. In Windows uninstall programs window - uninstalled Photoshop
  2. Restarted the system
  3. In Windows uninstall programs window - uninstalled After Effects
  4. Restarted the system
  5. Used the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to uninstall the Creative Cloud desktop app
  6. Used the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to uninstall Core Sync
  7. Restarted the system

From here I have not installed anything again since I want to make sure that everything is gone with you. Is there any old preference files for ae that will sync once I install Ae again (which I believe is the actual problem)? If so, how do I delete these to make sure everything gets a fresh install?

After installed, I will drop my keyboard-settings, my workspaces and my plugins to the folders they should be in. Any thoughts before I proceed?

Thanks

****UPDATE

I needed to push further so I reinstalled Creative Cloud desktop app and then Ae. Once I clicked the "open" button under Ae in the CC desktop app, I hold down shift, ctrl and alt to clear the preference file. Clicked "yes" to clear it and ae worked. Then I restarted my computer and the error message appeared again. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

****UPDATE 2

After talking to the Adobe tech support, we ended up upon the fact that my user account on Windows loses its Admin privileges. I can run ae by rightclicking the app-icon and choose run as administrator after I have given full access to the folders. I'm trying to find the answer from Windows to solve that issue. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines