• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with relinking missing files due to renamed source files

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I have a big problem, and it surprised me that I couldn't find anyone with the same problem as I searched the internet.

I have been editing my own film with all the footage clips I took.

The names of those clips are clip001, clip002, ……

I have used about 100 clips already in my project.

Then I decided to rename those clips in their original file folder to better reflect the contents of the clips.

After that, I opened my project in AE, and all the clips I have used are reported as missing files.

I know it's pretty easy to replace them if the cause of them being missing is a changed file folder location. 

But when you have renamed the source files, I don't know what to do to automatically locate all the files?

After replacing one file, the other files don't automatically find themselves like what will happen with a changed folder location.

Do I have to replace them one by one?? It kills me.

The only change I made was to rename those source files. They are all in the same folder. Everything is the same except for the names.

Is there a quick way to link all the missing files if you have renamed the source video files?? Or is it that after effects only uses the file names, and nothing else, when locating them? Is it game over if you have changed the names of the source files?

I desperately need your help! 

TOPICS
Error or problem , FAQ , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What about if you import it and replace it all of them with Alt key from Project Panel to Timeline, I think that's a little bit faster than replace one by one. This not having to change the names you learn just when this happens to you, I assure you that from now on you will not do it anymore not only in After Effects but in any applications that link files. You must change the names before starting your project, not in the middle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines