Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with Track Mattes (I think)

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

So I'm basically trying to find the best way to place a layer on top of a map and find a way to have that layer tranform to look identical to the map underneath.  

In other words, if I were to zoom in Sicily, for example, and place a rectangle shaple layer there, how could I get it to look like Sicily, without having to manually move every piece to fit.  That's very tedious and I believe there's a way around it.  I'm rather new to AE, but track mattes sort of do what I'm talking about, but I can't get it to look just right.

If you've ever seen a historical video on Youtube where they move the borders around, that's basically my goal for the project I'm working on, just can't quite figure out how to do that.

Thanks,
Michael

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload a screen shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 4.44.02 PM.png

Thanks for responding.  As you can see, on Sicily, I was trying to apply a shape layer, and manually fit it so that you can't see the border or water, unsuccessfully.  Then on Sardinia, I'm messing around with Mattes, to see if I can get that to work, also unsuccessfully.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 4.53.35 PM.png

Set Matte sort of works.  I tried doing that, plus color key, but still can't get it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many layers/ what layers are within your map comp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no layers within the map comp.  I'm using a plugin called Geolayers, which is making this more difficult.  If there are layers within it, it's stuff that I can't mess with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Michael,

I think that the reason why you get this result is because you're using a light-blue & white color'd layer to get your Matt, a map for a Matt should be "Black" where it have to be "Transparent", and "white" where it needs to be "fully opaque",  if you want to use it as a "Luma-Matt ".

Your Matt is a bright-blue for the black (which is to bright to be fully keyed out) and a light gray for the white's (to dark to be fully opaque) so this is why it's not working well.

So, if this is the problem, this would be a solution.

you increase the contrast of the layer.

But since you don't want to mess with your map, here is what you can do.

Duplicate the map layer ("Ctrl+D" or "Edit>Duplicate"),(you can rename it Matt). and then, add on it something like a "levels", or a "hue & saturation" effect, to increase the contrast, until you get a "black and white Matt". and then, turn off  the Matt layer .(by clicking on the eye ball) and then, go to the shape layer and change the "set Matt" to use your duplicate instead for your "set Matt" layer. and then make sure, to change the "(set)Matt source" from "source" to "effect's & masks".

I hope that this is helpful.

(to improve it (if you want to make it bigger or smaller), you can use a "Simple Choker" to extend it or to inset it a few pixels. and if it is to smooth, you can add a "roughen Edges" effect with a high complexity).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines