• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

High-Tier PC, horrible performance?

New Here ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm a Motion Graphics artist / Editor who recently upgraded their PC after suffering with slow rendering speeds. Yet my new PC seems even slower, despite having much better hardware:

CPU: Intel Core i9 7900X

Cooler: Corsair H100i 240mm

Motherboard: ASUS Strix X299-E

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4

I edit my footage on a 1TB SSD, backup to a 6TB HDD, and my OS is on a separate 240GB SSD. If it's of any importance, I use a combination of the Acer X34 Ultrawide monitor and an ASUS PB287Q 4K monitor.

Here are the issues that I've experienced:

• Any action takes seconds (with the After Effects interface being exceptionally slow)
  • When rendering anything (on After Effects or Premiere Pro), the computer becomes entirely unusable.
  • Previewing anything (with or without any effects) takes minutes instead of being instant (including standard 1080p footage AND fully rendered sequences).
  • Rendering 15 minutes of simple After Effects animation (1080p, 60fps, 3-5 layers with no lighting or 3D) exceeds one hour.
  • Extremely slow project loading and file importing
  • Regular crashes across the board

I'm not sure what's caused this to happen, since it's performed this poorly since the beginning. I aim to work with 4K content in the near future, and a proxy workflow simply isn't an option with my career. Additionally, I'd rather not use different software since I move between Premiere, After Effects, and Photoshop regularly.

Any and all help would be more than appreciated, thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

After Effects is just a slow renderer, it goes frame by frame.
If you can, try rendering through Media Encoder.

As for general performance on a high end PC... Yep, I'm about 12 crashes today on the newest version of cc2018.
It's very frustrating, I like using the last version cc2014 when I can.

Under Edit - Preferences, you can change a few settings around to increase performance
- under "Memory", you can reserve RAM for not after effects, this will help if you want to use your PC while rendering.

-

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects is just a slow renderer, it goes frame by frame.
If you can, try rendering through Media Encoder.

As for general performance on a high end PC... Yep, I'm about 12 crashes today on the newest version of cc2018.
It's very frustrating, I like using the last version cc2014 when I can.

Under Edit - Preferences, you can change a few settings around to increase performance
- under "Memory", you can reserve RAM for not after effects, this will help if you want to use your PC while rendering.

- under "Media & Disk Cache" - if you have the space, try raising the Maximum to like 100GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try reverting to AE 15.0.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would that be possible - Adobe CC always update to the latest version.

Thanks

-Jessie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to install an update if you don;t want to.

If you do choose to install an update you can choose to keep previous version during installation.

You can install previous versions anytime vvvv

Install previous version of your Creative Cloud app

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to render it in the media encorder. Use h264 for the codec and use rendering with hardware instead of software (if your pc can do that).

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning DaSedge,

I am in the same situation I have a i9 with 18 cores.

I am really frustrated with the performance of AE.

It only use a fraction of its performance, my Macbook Pro with 4 core i7 goes about as fast.

However when I render 4K in Premiere I see a huge difference, it then utilize a 100% of my CPUs.

But when rendering 1080p it uses 25% Top, I thought it would also use more and go faster.

I hope that future update will take advantage of faster more modern hardware.

the bottom line for me:

Do not buy a high-end computer it wont help you much for Adobe CC.

Choose instead a mid range computer, for now.

The added cost is really an overkill - cannot fully utilize it.

Bregoire​ Thanks for the Tips and explanation

In the meantime, have a great morning.

-Jessie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

cc2018 has been getting a lot more stable on my system, it's probably only about 1 crash a day.
I still recommend rendering through Adobe Media Encoder where you can though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines