Highlighted

Highlights Around the Edges of Object (As if lit from behind?)

Explorer ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a cartoon character that has a bright light behind him. Is there an easy way to make the little fish in the top center look darker (I was going to Tint him) but add highlights all around his edges, so it looks more like the light is really shining behind him?

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 6.34.30 PM.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Highlights Around the Edges of Object (As if lit from behind?)

Explorer ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a cartoon character that has a bright light behind him. Is there an easy way to make the little fish in the top center look darker (I was going to Tint him) but add highlights all around his edges, so it looks more like the light is really shining behind him?

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 6.34.30 PM.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the little fish is on a separate layer then color correction and maybe some light wrap is the way to go. If the little fish is not on a separate layer you will need to duplicate the footage and create a mask around the little fish to get it on a separate layer. 

How much experience do you have with AE? Can you share a screenshot of the entire AE UI with the modified properties of the layers you are having problems revealed? Just press uu and take a screenshot. Maybe we can give you some more specific suggestions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The little fish is on a separate layer. He is in a nested comp.

I may not be able to provide a screen shot that tells the whole story, as this comp has about three dozen layers, and the just the settings for the layer with the sunrays behind the fish and the water is too big to fit on the laptop screen.

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 7.29.37 PM.png

I was thinking of just making a black shape layer over the fish, and just blurring it a lot. But the fish is moving his mouth and changing his shape, and this seems kind of sloppy and imprecise.

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 7.35.36 PM.png          Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 7.35.46 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to spend some serious time on the basics. Check out the User Guide.

If the fish is on a separate layer just adding the curves effect will let you darken the fish. 

If you need to create a mask for the fish you already have one. Just duplicate the layer and use it as an alpha track matte. 

If you want to simulate light wrap you could use a copy of the fish as a track matte, add gaussian blur to the copy of the fish, and use that as an alpha inverted matte for a copy of the light burst. or as an alpha track matte for the fish to soften the edges just a bit and let it look like the light is coming from behind the fish. 

There should never be a need to try and draw an accurate mask around the fish because you already have an alpha channel you can use for that. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2020 0